Cinema4D and gmax?

Well besides JKA I also do weapons and smaller mods for Skyrim. I've come pretty familiar with cinema4D and I got curious, is there any way I could make a model in Cinema4D and port it over to gmax? that would make my models a ton better. I actually think this is impossible, but I tried googling a bit and I see there's a possibillity to port it to 3DSmax. Well I don't have 3DSmax, so that's why I'm asking you guys..

You mean only modeling in Cinema4D and then exporting to another software? I think any 3D software should be able to export a format that others can import, so you should be able to model wherever you want, as long as you rig it in a software with a proper exporter for what you need to export. Check common formats like .obj, .fbx, or .3ds even.

well .3ds is not supported by gmax, also gmax is old, it mostly messes with the normals facing the wrong way, it gives an error or such... I tried with those formats you suggested, they don't work... and yes, I meant doing and mapping a model in Cinema4D/ Texture it with Mudbox and than port it over like that to gmax, so I could use it in JKA...

well .3ds is not supported by gmax

Gmax can import 3ds files though I admit that Gmax can import it with errors or even not import file at all. You can find an .obj import script for Gmax and try to import your model, thought it can also not import anything. So I may suggest to not rely on Gmax and look for other programs which support .md3 export like for example Milkshape 3d or 3d object converter, both require payment, but i think you can install trial versions and try them out. Or you can make all your models, then install a trial 30-day version of 3dsmax, find an md3 exporter for it and export all your models. I guess there is also a free full version of 3dsmax for students, but it requires some registrarion, cant tell you much of that 'cause I've never used it.

Though, going via md3 is in this case unnecessary, since it's only about bringing your model over to another software, thus any common 3D format should be the way to go. I haven't used Gmax enough to know how well it handles the 3ds format, but was surprised by its lack of included importers for other formats.

As OlgO said, there is a student version of 3ds Max (max 2010 to current are available I think), and as long as you're a student it's completely legit. I've been using it for over a year at least. Otherwise, I'm sure you'll find importers for whichever software you decide to use.

Gmax can import 3ds files though I admit that Gmax can import it with errors or even not import file at all. You can find an .obj import script for Gmax and try to import your model, thought it can also not import anything. So I may suggest to not rely on Gmax and look for other programs which support .md3 export like for example Milkshape 3d or 3d object converter, both require payment, but i think you can install trial versions and try them out. Or you can make all your models, then install a trial 30-day version of 3dsmax, find an md3 exporter for it and export all your models. I guess there is also a free full version of 3dsmax for students, but it requires some registrarion, cant tell you much of that 'cause I've never used it.

YES EXACTLY! That's my problem, it doesn't import it good (mostly triangulated models with 2x more polygons) or it doesn't import at all... I'll try getting my hands on one of those student versions, I am a student of Informational Technologies after all. I'll try that and see where this goes... anyhow, I think you answered what I needed, if anything else comes up, I'll post here. In the mean time, THANK YOU! A lot!

Boothand likes this