RGB in MP?

I've seen a few mods that allow for RGB selection on different parts of player models and was wondering how possible this would be for a standalone multiplayer mod. I can take a peak at one of the SP mods to see how they go about selecting different parts to color and such but the whole coding aspect is just beyond me so thought I'd ask the more knowledgeable people on the forum.

You don't need any coding to set RGB for player models

Just use a skin that supports it and set the userinfo cvars: char_color_red, char_color_green, char_color_blue

Yeah I knew you could do it that way, but to actually set it up in the player menu so it's easily accessible would be nice. Plus I was wondering how I can convert a model to an RGB model.

You can use sliders without any real coding. Check how it's handled in the volume stuff - you can do a similar method there for the character RGB cvars.

I'm sure I can just use the code from one of the SP versions I downloaded (which uses the same graphics) and just make some minor tweaks.

Basically what I'm trying to accomplish is the ability to select certain parts of a model and color them however you wish using RGB. I suppose now I just need to know how to make a model RGB compatible, and how to select the different parts to color separately (similar to the top/bottom/head in species menu). Is there a way I can add more than 3 RGB parts as well?

You can't have multiple RGB sections. You'll need to add new cvars for that.

I'm assuming that's not an easy task for someone like me who is literally trying to find where he can copy/paste the code from the SP version of this mod into an MP .menu file?

An easy task for what? Creating new cvars, or..?

Yeah. I'm just completely lost when it comes to coding, even with the tutorials here on menu coding. I understand what all the commands mean, but can't seem to piece it together in my head when looking at the code what is actually being done visually. Tried analyzing the code from the SP RGB mod and it's not helping much either. I've tried changing a bunch of stuff and JA stays exactly the same. Ugh.

Yeah. I'm just completely lost when it comes to coding, even with the tutorials here on menu coding. I understand what all the commands mean, but can't seem to piece it together in my head when looking at the code what is actually being done visually. Tried analyzing the code from the SP RGB mod and it's not helping much either. I've tried changing a bunch of stuff and JA stays exactly the same. Ugh.

Just to clarify - .menu coding is probably better referred to as .menu scripting, as they don't really pertain to the same thing.

A bit of a primer here when it comes to UI:

.menu files are separated into itemDefs. Each itemDef has its own properties, including type (such as ITEM_TYPE_SLIDER), position (x and y, x goes from 0 - 640, y goes from 0 - 480) and any type of sound associated with it. Most of the fields are the same regardless of SP/MP.

Menu coding (ie via .c files) is a little bit more difficult and complex, and I get the impression that it isn't really what you want to do, unless you really do want to add more RGB parts (in which case, probably a good idea to figure out how the existing ones work :P ). UI coding in SP is done in the engine itself actually, whereas in MP it's done in uix86.dll. Perhaps you should clarify a bit further what you wish to accomplish - more parts, or just a better interface to control R/G/B colors? The latter is much more simple.

Just to clarify - .menu coding is probably better referred to as .menu scripting, as they don't really pertain to the same thing.

A bit of a primer here when it comes to UI:

.menu files are separated into itemDefs. Each itemDef has its own properties, including type (such as ITEM_TYPE_SLIDER), position (x and y, x goes from 0 - 640, y goes from 0 - 480) and any type of sound associated with it. Most of the fields are the same regardless of SP/MP.

Menu coding (ie via .c files) is a little bit more difficult and complex, and I get the impression that it isn't really what you want to do, unless you really do want to add more RGB parts (in which case, probably a good idea to figure out how the existing ones work :P ). UI coding in SP is done in the engine itself actually, whereas in MP it's done in uix86.dll. Perhaps you should clarify a bit further what you wish to accomplish - more parts, or just a better interface to control R/G/B colors? The latter is much more simple.

Thanks man.

Yeah I understand the different parameters involved in menu scripting thanks to Affinity's tutorial. Well ideally I'd like to accomplish three things:

1) Make RGB sliders accessible from the Species menu in MP

2) Know how to make models RGB compatible (and how to select which parts are affected by RGB)

3) How to add multiple parts to be independently colored

In actuality, I'd be happy settling for 1 and 2, for what I want to accomplish. 3 would just be allowing me to take that ability to the next level and really give me what I want in the end. But I'll take what I can get.