Adding Models to Game

What's the proper way to get a model in game? If any? 

In a previous post it was said that q3map2 can compile 3ds and obj models. I made a new folder in my models directory and then downloaded a model of barrel and put it in there. I added it to the map and it showed up with no texture in the editor and when compiled, although the model itself showed up no problem in the test map.

Do I have to re-texture these models myself?

I added it to the map and it showed up with no texture in the editor and when compiled, although the model itself showed up no problem in the test map.

Do you mean you see the tris compiled, but having no texture? Meaning a black model or something? You aren't clear.

I tried to get lwo and obj to work before with no success. I just ended up exporting the models in a format that I could import into Blender and then used Mr.Wonko's Blender plugins to export an md3 or ase.

It was a greyish texured, cylinder shaped item that appeared in my map. I didn't look at tris or anything. It looked like a barrel to me. I didn't try any other models.

Hmmm. Well what I ended up doing with a couple lwo's I wanted to work in JKA, was importing them into Blender and rejoining the quads. After that I'd just unwrap the uvs and attempt to use the already completed texture to get them in a good shape.

Once the model was all set, triangulated etc... just use Wonkos plugins to export an md3 or ase. Was able to get a few Doom 3 environment objects to work that way, but turned out to be sort of ugly due to the inability to utilize normal maps and specular maps in JKA as they were in Doom3. The diffuse maps are very flat in Doom 3/Quake 4.

• 2 weeks later...

Does like me, @@IrocJeff. Download Blender 2.68.

in download section you can get the plug in for blender 2.88 of  @@mrwonko.

create a folder with model 3ds and texture.

example "models/map_objects/hothlab/barrel.3ds and  barrel.jpg files.

import the 3ds into blender and save. draw model into 0 0 0 origin for correct asset. 

now you need to select manually every mesh of the barrel. for every mesh go in Custom properties of objects menu and set:

Key: md3shader

value: models/map_objects/hothlab/barrel <- relative path of the texture.

Now, export your object into md3 with mr wonkoplug in. YU need to select ALL mesh with A key, before. and yu need to put barrel.md3 (also *.md3, yu need, ot export not work) into the name. and after yu export to the folder.

now watch your model with md3view of mister wonko. you can see the model textured. :)

at this point, the model it's ready for set into your map as misc_model or misc_model_static. :)

Get 2.69 now, but yeah ^ above method is how I converted your models from your PM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRtn9KO0omY

Here is mrwonko's tutorial video.

A few things to note: md3 models are tied to their folder, so for example the barrel model which points to barrel_dif.jpg in barrel/ , neither files can change location. You cannot rename barrel/ to caustic_barrel/ or something, because it will break the texture location that is referenced inside the md3 format. This is for example why the pot plant doesn't work despite it have a tris.md3 and a texture file, it was compiled for another format (Unity) and uses a skin file that JKA and radiant do not support.

Get 2.69 now, but yeah ^ above method is how I converted your models from your PM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRtn9KO0omY

Here is mrwonko's tutorial video.

A few things to note: md3 models are tied to their folder, so for example the barrel model which points to barrel_dif.jpg in barrel/ , neither files can change location. You cannot rename barrel/ to caustic_barrel/ or something, because it will break the texture location that is referenced inside the md3 format. This is for example why the pot plant doesn't work despite it have a tris.md3 and a texture file, it was compiled for another format (Unity) and uses a skin file that JKA and radiant do not support.

Workin on my MD3 , i see two ways for change textures path:

one: save the blender project in a copy of new md3 and put on md3shader key a different value of relative path.

example:

lightpshref01 mesh

md3shader

models/map_objects/forge_light/lightpshref

for original file.

i make another file called "darkpshref"

the lightpshref01 mesh has that new key:

md3shader

value: models/map_objects/forge_dark/darkpshref

After you export the custom md3 edit , the new model find the text  path you have changed. :) the texture is the same, just in another folder and with another RGB color edited with pain shop pro 9 .

that's is the way for reskin a model by blender.

the other way is to apply a skin file with md3view for changing appereance. But work about model on blender is more safety and stable. :)

i begin mad for an entire month for this job. XD