can someone direct me to a tutorial (not gtk radiant) for bsp editing

Doing it in notepad and GTKRadiant are precisely the same. The SP sample maps that came with the tools have examples.

*edit*

/*QUAKED target_activate (1 0 0) (-4 -4 -4) (4 4 4)
Will set the target(s) to be usable/triggerable
*/

/*QUAKED target_deactivate (1 0 0) (-4 -4 -4) (4 4 4)
Will set the target(s) to be non-usable/triggerable
*/

That's literally all there is to it.

I think it's important to show Picard's reaction when he found the ent code in yavin2 and realized how simple it is. Silly Picard.

MoonDog, IT IS NOT AS SIMPLE AS THAT I WISH IT WAS... I recently talked to seto and he was no help either.

MoonDog, IT IS NOT AS SIMPLE AS THAT I WISH IT WAS... I recently talked to seto and he was no help either.

P.S. Seto is a great modder whom inspired a lot of ent modders. Your issue is again, really simple. I'd highly recommend you unpack as many SP bsps as possible from assets0.pk3 and go through their entities. There's literally a wealth of information ON YOUR COMPUTER you aren't using.

P.S. Seto is a great modder whom inspired a lot of ent modders. Your issue is again, really simple. I'd highly recommend you unpack as many SP bsps as possible from assets0.pk3 and go through their entities. There's literally a wealth of information ON YOUR COMPUTER you aren't using.

as much as i want to argue with you over Seto, I will admit he is a great modder but truthfully when I spoke to him he wasn't of much help.

He's of great help actually, the problem is that the information you've required so far regarding ent modding is information plentiful in maps that shipped with the game. A great number of maps on JKHUB have interesting entity chaining as well. What you aren't getting, (and consequently the reason I give you so much shit) is that me just giving you a complete answer is detrimental to your modding abilities in the long run.

People get all pissy(i.e., you, Deviance) that I'd rather give suggestions and tips rather than a straight answer, but let me make this point one final time. I call this the rule of the web. For every one problem a person has, in the time they spend researching the problem and solving it on their own, they may learn how to do two  or more things other than the solution to their problem.

A person will pretty much chose the easiest path every time. It's a natural proclivity to expand less energy. So if I post a complete answer with lines of script, lines of ent code, etc... it's likely that it would be copy and pasted. The most that would be done is slight tweaking to fit it into a different mod. You wouldn't learn much that way.

Now, if I tell you where to find the answer within a map you are getting a lot more. You have to decipher which lines of entities are applicable to your problem. In doing so you learn how to search and dissect an entity list quickly. You pay more attention to how the entities connect to each other and how these connections affect the flow. You're likely see combinations that you hadn't thought of that make solving a problem easier, or chaining entities more efficient. You may see a script that eliminates the need for a series of entities. The point is, you are going to glean a lot more knowledge than me simply flopping an answer in front of you. It's the fact that you don't understand that we really are trying to help you in the BEST way that is irritating. At a certain point you need to find the motivation to start increasing your knowledge. Or you can ride on the coattails of others, copy their ent coding and scripts, take their answers and be completely dependent. It's up to you.

Asulynn, Asgarath83, Omicron and 1 other like this