Skybox Problems

I've followed the Rich Diesal Tutorial and modified some images I found and created a shader file to go along with it. I'm running into problems. All I get is a checkerboard pattern where my images are supposed to go, but, my lighting is red-ish which is what I wanted from the shader. So, I have no images showing up but the light works.

textures/skies/redsky

{

qer_editorimage textures/skies/sky

q3map_lightRGB 1.000000 0.108827 0.108827

q3map_skylight 200 5

surfaceparm nomarks

surfaceparm sky

surfaceparm noimpact

surfaceparm nodlight

q3map_lightmapFilterRadius 0 8

q3map_sunExt 1.000000 0.997119 0.857641 350 90 90 1 2

notc

q3map_nolightmap

skyParms textures/skies/thesky 1024 -

}

My textures are renamed just as they are in the tutorial, only mine are redsky_bk, redsky_dn, ect..

The tutorial says that  will need to add the shader to the shaderlist.txt and then load it in the textures menu. Does this mean I am to add redsky.shader into the list of all the other shaders as its own file or do I just add it to the skies.shader with all the other ones? My textures are in the skies texture directory.

This is for single player mapping as well.

q3map_lightRGB 1.000000 0.108827 0.108827

mmm, to much red the amount of red here. Green and Blue light are pratically zero. This parameter set the ambient light of the map produced by the entire sky.

try to fix this parameter. set like the other

q3map_sunExt 1.000000 0.997119 0.857641 350 90 90 1 2 <- this set the sun, position, light, size, etc. the sun is good, is the sky that creating a red lightning. maybe there is too many hydrogene sulphure on the atmosphere? O.o No, really, edit the value of the RGB color. yu can have an idea of what kind of light emitted by the sky opening GTK, putting a Light into your shene and setting the Light rgb parameters with k key (if i remember correct is K) yu open a box with an RGB filter for setting the color of a light entity into the map, when the light get the color do you want for the sky light, see the light parameters of key value eand copy the _color value into your shader file. so yu get the same tonality at the light  brightness of your sky,

Yeah, you're supposed to type in the name of the .shader file along with the other names in the shaderlist.txt. You usually have one .shader for every level, where you collect all your shaders in.

Your skies are named redsky_etc, but you're making the shader look for "thesky".

Yeah, you're supposed to type in the name of the .shader file along with the other names in the shaderlist.txt. You usually have one .shader for every level, where you collect all your shaders in.

Your skies are named redsky_etc, but you're making the shader look for "thesky".

The .shader file was the part I did wrong, along with the typo. I was able to load my skybox and it was visible but its not that great. I'm guessing the free skybox I got wasn't aligned properly and so it doesn't look good. It also doesn't look seamless so I have to look elsewhere..

Thanks for the help

If you're really into that sky, I could take a look if I could make it seamless (if they are at all meant to be used together)

I kinda like it. I'm going one of two ways with my level as I found a cool mars-ish looking soil texture that looks awesome. I thought I'd add a Mars-ish sky and maybe some red-ish fog too. 

Where should I send it?

Hmm, what I did fixed it 100% on my own computer. The problem was only the naming. They didn't fit together because for example the redsky_ft should really have been redsky_rt or lt, and so on with the others as well. I don't remember the exact cases now. After I renamed them, I sent the new files back to you. Are you sure you replaced the old files completely? The ones in your textures/skies folder.

Screenshot of it working: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/58757568/shot0000.jpg

If, for some reason, it still doesn't work with my files (which would be a first class mystery), you have to use the same method I used. It's just a matter of looking at which images are going to fit together, and envisioning the position they must have. Left --------> front, right, back, (left). Then up and down. If this works, but the up and down textures don't fit in yet, you have to rotate them until they do, since you have changed the positions of east, west, north and south in your images.

Hope you get it working, and once again, check if you truly have replaced the old files.

-----------------------------------EDIT: ------------------------------------------------

Actually, I noticed now that the direction is inversed. I don't understand how this should differ in our games, however, but what has happened with the new files is this: The left sky is compatible with the front sky along the left seam, not the right as it should be. <------- and so on. This is strange, as I made sure it made sense a few days ago. It does work flawlessly in my game however. I'm finding it very hard to turn it around the way it logically should be... but it.. works?

I finally got it working. That's an hour and half of my life I'll never get back.  :D

I lined up all the stock images and then the ones you had sent me below them. After much squinting, I was able to get it to work. I had to rename and inverse two, the back and left ones. Then, It took about 7 re-orientations of the top image. For some reason, everyime I turned that image clockwise it would go counterclockwise in the game. Odd.

At any rate, thanks for all your help. I now know how to orient textures and pity people who do this for a living...  :winkthumb:

Haha glad you learned something! Strange how the game flips stuff. Defies my logic. Even when I changed it the way it should be (from left to right), it didn't get right in game. The ones I sent you worked in my game, but not in yours - that's the most annoying part :D