Building a secondary computer for development

Title is pretty self explanatory. I am looking at here in the not so distant future building a second PC.

I don't intend for it to be as insane as my current one. But I want to get a significant amount of power in a small a space as I can. My hope is to build it in a horizontal case even if I have to modify said case to make it all fit.

Looking for input on the parts I should go for. Cost isn't a huge deal as I have been known to drop over $800 on a single part.

I would like to avoid any international shipping costs though. (I'm US based for those that don't know)

Definitely, already have that in my current PC. But I also have an 8 core processor, which is a little uncalled for I would think.

Fucks sake. Those cores mean nothing. "Cores" is this close to becoming a buzzword...

And anyway, more on topic: why? Seems kinda pointless to me.

But in any case, go for microATX mobo and case, they're tiny (and cute :3)

Developing what?

I stopped following Helical Games on facebook because every post I saw was about how many likes your page had, or how you guys were making your website spiffy, or search engine optimization, making your spiffy website pop up nearer the top.

I only saw some concept sketches and a very rough low poly model in a long time of allotted development. Perhaps you'd be more interested in a machine for social networking and or advertising development?

Futuza and eezstreet like this

Developing what?

I stopped following Helical Games on facebook because every post I saw was about how many likes your page had, or how you guys were making your website spiffy, or search engine optimization, making your spiffy website pop up nearer the top.

I only saw some concept sketches and a very rough low poly model in a long time of allotted development. Perhaps you'd be more interested in a machine for social networking and or advertising development?

Well it should be noted that I don't handle our social media most of the time. But we have to juggle both our first development project as well as administrative level stuff as a starter company. Those types of things are important to a young company, especially one with no revenue.

I can assure you that much more is happening than appears publicly. But as I have stated before, we are all adults that work full-time jobs and in some cases have college courses on top of Helical. Hell one of our animators is known to work 12 hr shifts, and up until recently I was doing the same. We are so slow because we are very much having to keep this a very expensive hobby for the time being. I assure you that we would all be happy to be able to do it for our living.

But this computer is mostly to serve as a development and testing rig. Also a localized small server for Perforce as we've had issues getting it to work on our web host.

therfiles likes this

I don't understand why you are working so much, going to college, and want a new expensive machine when the other one should double just fine?  Maybe I just haven't figured the secret to managing my time yet. 

...if its testing you might as well get a crappy one that would reflect what your typical user would have when trying to play your game.

JKG Developer

I personally am no longer working that much. I only work 40 hrs per week now, but the same cannot be said for everyone else necessarily. And unfortunately I cannot do everything myself, certainly not in an efficient manner.

A big reason for the new one is as I said a Perforce server, my current one produces far too much heat in my apartment to be left on all the time.

EDIT: My reasoning for getting it/what Helical is up to, are both irrelevant to this topic. If we want to discuss that you can either start a topic on it, or contact me. I just want hardware recommendations for good power and performance in small size.

I did some googling while I had downtime at the office,

So far I am liking this case:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811144234

TAr1TeN.jpg

Case comes with an installed 500W power supply, so no need to change that as long as we don't exceed it

Looks like I could probably fit this guy in there without too much difficulty, and it only asks for a 400W minimum:

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=02G-P4-2653-KR

02G-P4-2653-KR_MD_1.jpg

And I've already stated I'll be throwing 16GB ram into it, not sure what kind yet.

So far (not really counting in rebates and potential taxes and shipping) looking at like $200, which is a fraction of what I spent on my desktop.

Perforce? LOL.

Probably half of your problem lies right there. While Perforce is nice and all, wouldn't something with less of a footprint, like Git, Mercurial, or Subversion get the job done just as well? I wouldn't even recommend Perforce unless you're working at like NASA or EA or something.

Git and Mercurial both have the option of hosting local repositories with remotes that can point to a server. (And look - Github can host one free private repository for your organization..)

If you're using this for stuff like render-farming or running Apache/MySQL then yeah, this kinda investment would make sense. But a dedicated Perforce machine is the most ridiculous thing I've heard of for a group that's your size.

It's not dedicated to Perforce, but it is one of the uses I intend for it. I have also had plans of a render farm for a few years now and have never had the finances.

The only reason we are using Perforce is because it comes integrated into UDK for free. We've had it "working" on our web host, but the way they handle connections causes it to only stay connected for a few minutes at a time if that.

Again though, my reasons should really be irrelevant.

It's not dedicated to Perforce, but it is one of the uses I intend for it. I have also had plans of a render farm for a few years now and have never had the finances.

The only reason we are using Perforce is because it comes integrated into UDK for free. We've had it "working" on our web host, but the way they handle connections causes it to only stay connected for a few minutes at a time if that.

Again though, my reasons should really be irrelevant.

They're completely relevant if your reasons are completely asinine.

What are your reasons though? All I've heard is "render farming" and "perforce", and both of those aren't particularly useful (do tell what you plan on using a render farm for exactly)

They're completely relevant if your reasons are completely asinine.

In reality, they really aren't.  I could be doing this simply "because I can", while I'm not, it really doesn't matter.

What are your reasons though? All I've heard is "render farming" and "perforce", and both of those aren't particularly useful (do tell what you plan on using a render farm for exactly)

I am about to start process of handling special effects/post production work for a recently shot 30's/40's Noir crime short for one of my Director friends, a task that while I don't doubt my rig can handle, I'd rather not have to dedicate it to that when the time comes.

That among with a few other local media projects (some PSAs and other nonsense for a local community college) are some of the multitudes of rendering tasks that could be off'ed on it.

I also have a number of personal animations, portfolio work and the like, that I have not rendered simply due to the time it would take.

It should also be noted that I, as we speak, have a number of beta/alpha softwares I am testing, and since many of them are not optimized, some of which are used in development level work, are huge.  I have a LOT of space on this computer, but while I have the bays for more drives, I do not have the ports on my motherboard, and my space is rapidly starting to dissipate (I still technically have plenty, which is one reason this new machine likely won't happen till after tax returns at the start of the year).  And hell nearly 50 GBs(and growing) are dedicated to a constant physical backup of the entire JKHub site, and everything we host.  I COULD simply get portable drives, or even upgrade to larger ones as a few of them are on the smaller side,  But I could also just as easily, (not cheaply), get a secondary computer.

Also, I travel, a LOT, usually to places or events where I could easily use a desktop, if I had one.  Mine is far to large and heavy to be traveled with.  And I own a laptop, but it doesn't handle a lot of the things I typically run very well, especially if I am running say, Maya and Mudbox in parallel.  And god forbid I need to render in Premiere or After-Effects.  Now I could spend a few hundred bucks for a brand new one, but to really get a design level laptop, I could still be looking at at least near a grand, and it probably still wouldn't equal out to a desktop built for the same amount.  If I build a PC with a smaller footprint, I could travel with it more easily, and be able to still use a decent desktop, when not at home.

I've already mentioned the server options, Perforce and what not.  

The fact of the matter is, I don't dedicate my current desktop to most of this, because while it itself stays perfectly cool even when rendering and the like, it puts out far too much heat for my small apartment room (My desk is completely beside my bed.)

Old photo from when I moved in a year ago, but the layout is the same, just more monitors.

Gu4q9dQ.jpg

There is a reason I keep that fan level with my head.

So essentially, if it gets left on for anything more than a couple hours at a time, my room becomes unbearable, as the A/C is not particularly well ventilated.

If I had a smaller PC, that put off less heat, I could keep it in here, and put the larger one in the living room.  Simply allow it to be the "community gaming PC" between my roommate and I.

I have 4 GB of ram and that is plenty for me. The only reason I would want more than that is if I wanted to run like 5 games at the same time while rendering a scene in 3ds Max while checking my Facebook while downloading a movie while checking my phone.

Why on earth would you want a secondary computer while you already have a self-admitidly over-powered computer as it is? The reasons you list for building another computer are minor inconvienences that just seem to serve as an exuse to throw away thousands of dollars. If I were you I would take that money and put it in savings or invest it somewhere, unless you're filthy rich, which doesn't seem to be the case from the size of your room. Maybe you could put that money towards moving into a better apartment.

Also, how many games do you seriously have? You have like 40 Xbox games in that picture, and you're sig says you've played 2,000 hours of games? Most game devs don't even play that much from what I can see looking at Valve employee's Steam profiles. There are a lot more accomplishments in real life that deliver better rewards than all those game achievments you have. Getting out and meeting a girl for example has a lot more rewards and perks than an "achievement" can give you. It's ironic because with a video game "achievement" you don't actually achieve anything other than waste time sitting on your lazy ass.

Forgive me if I sound harsh, but all I'm saying is that there are more meaningful things you can put your time and money into. I started to fall into the "collect all the achievements" and "play the most hours" trap with Steam a few years ago and I quickly realized just how pointless and meaningless all those things were when I went out to enjoy real life. I think it's fine to want to pursue a career in game development, but playing video games all day and burning valuable cash on technological novelties is not worth it and doesn't further yourself in your career at all.

I'd rather wake up and have my wife be the first thing I see in the morning instead of a poster for Halo and Modern Warfare.

Firstly, 2000 hrs is nothing...especially when if you look at my profile you'd see that it is measured out over 3 years. So doing the math on that I'd be playing maybe 6 hours a day Which in reality I don't, certainly not any more. I may play 4 hour or so a week, and most of that I am often testing games for other people.

If you think 4GB of RAM is plenty, you've obviously never tried rendering films, especially when it comes to special effects. Note that doing so is something I get paid for, so do it faster is a must.

And I my not be rich, but I make decent money, and have no debt.

My reasoning is perfectly sound. Truth be told I could afford to live somewhere else for cheaper, but I live in the city and it is in a perfect spot, 5 minutes from work, and no traffic to worry about during my commute hours.

But this isn't the "judge Crimson for his actions" thread, it's the "let's talk about good computer hardware that will fit in a small case like that" thread.

Circa likes this

'Rosh Penin', no offense, but relationships can be just as much a waste of time as games. Both distract from productivity. You have no business telling CrimsonStrife what he should do with his time.

Keep on topic, everyone. OP could be asking for suggestions for a new Mazaratti, you either reply if you have experience in the world of expensive cars or move on, you don't chastise him for buying an expensive car or ask him why he wants one.

CrimsonStrife and Circa like this