Easy Map Objects Request

I need 4 very small and easy map models for a map I'm making. The map is from Castlevania 64, and I have a WIP on it located here: http://jkhub.org/topic/2398-castlevania-64-hedge-maze/

These are just to odd/complex to make it radiant efficiently and properly, so I think map models would be best. Obviously they would be made in higher detail and look like they belong in a game of Jedi Academy's graphics, but structurally I'd like them to be as accurate to the originals in proportion etc. as possible. I do have a .bsp file I can send to anyone who wants to get the scale right to my map. Here's the reference image for the 4 models.

CastlevaniaMapObjects_zps6cb57ae5.jpg

Yes, just the circles parts. That means the two models on the outsides just need the ornamental top made, I have already made the large rectangular base in GtkRadiant. Any help would be great, even if you can only assist with part of this.

Thanks for reading.

i guess i could give a try but i'm no good with texturing :P

also if you could get a closeup of the furthest one in the back it would make it easier to make

and i'm pretty sure you can make the 2 middle ones in gtk they seem pretty square in my eyes

you can also scale md3's in radiant with the "modelscale" key so i don't think the scale would be a problem

lol if you have already made the models you might as well finish them

since i'm not gonna get to work on them until tomorrow after work :P

I already deleted the post now this thread looks wonky as hell. I will UV unwrap them tonight after I get a better ref from @@Botdra for that furthest piece. Am I texturing these as well Botdra? I dont mind I'm just asking. Also, the piece all the ay to the right has innacurrate dimensions I will fix those after work. This was like a 5 minute speed run at it

pz8m.jpg

@@ChalklYne: That looks great man, thanks. I do have a couple request for tweaks though if that's okay.

On this once, notice how in the texturing there's more detail to it, a lip on the top, some decorative architecture on the sides etc? Could you add a little bit of dimension similar to the texture? It's also odd because in that first screenshot you can see that it looks like a square vase on a square stand, but look at the screenshot below. Oddly, the model turns with the player. The 2D sprites like the ornament on the right always faces the player and turns with him, which makes sense to it doesn't seem like a sprite, but the square vase is actually a 3D model, it also turns wit the player though for some strange reason. So if you look at the screenshot below, I actually had the impression that it was intended to mimic a circular vase, but honestly I like your design better based off the first screenshot.

CastlevaniaUV10snap0005_zps5a19bf2a.jpg

This is the best shot I could get of the other one. Is that better?

CastlevaniaUV10snap0004_zps31fba049.jpg

I also don't need those big blocky stands done either since I've done them in radiant, but if you wish to do them yourself that's fine by me. And yes, textured if possible, not a problem if you want to just do the model though.

Oh, and lastly could you make that torch more of a rounded top, and make that top half a bit bulkier? Check the reference shot for dimensions. I know it looks square in-game but I think it was intended to be round.

Those descriptions and new refs will do fine. off to work I will make those adjustments tonight for ya

0xnh.jpg

I'd like to alpha map some vines hanging down off of some parts so it's like a amped up version of what they were trying to do if that's ok?

I'll get to unwrapping these here in a lil bit. I'll have a decent UV by the morning.

4sff.jpg

I've also decided (if it's cool with you) to not model in the box pillars underneath. For 2 main reasons.

1. You will have more freedom to place them wherever you want not only on pillars, maybe at the ends of bridges etc...

2. I see some concrete chips gone in the ref pics. I can chip away a bit of concrete, and for variance, you can just rotate the models in gtk so they look a bit different. Ultimately, you really need 2 versions of each model. 1 chipped, one regular, to add a decent amount of variance. We'll see once I get there. I will be texturing these in photoshop, then touching them up in Zbrush for finer details and such

I'll get to unwrapping these here in a lil bit. I'll have a decent UV by the morning.

4sff.jpg

I've also decided (if it's cool with you) to not model in the box pillars underneath. For 2 main reasons.

1. You will have more freedom to place them wherever you want not only on pillars, maybe at the ends of bridges etc...

2. I see some concrete chips gone in the ref pics. I can chip away a bit of concrete, and for variance, you can just rotate the models in gtk so they look a bit different. Ultimately, you really need 2 versions of each model. 1 chipped, one regular, to add a decent amount of variance. We'll see once I get there. I will be texturing these in photoshop, then touching them up in Zbrush for finer details and such

Great work man, but could I request the torch have the grass bottom removed? I'm just thinking it would be tough to make it look natural with a different grass texture etc. Plus I can always put some grass sprites at the bottom of it for realism. As far as the chipped models go, I would say just keep the models the way they are and just have the textures look a bit worn down and chipped with age.

Yep no worries.

No grassy bottom

2wvt.jpg

EDIT:

UV map is almost done.. heres a preview before I exited XSI. I have to fix those 2 grouped up vert peices that have all the blue dots all close together. I wanna watch The Conjuring real quick... and I'll paint it later tonight. Or at least have a decent rough draft going.

1ih4.jpg

EDIT:

Plus.. with this UV... I din't group any of the islands together so every side of the square peices will be different slightly in texture instead of how people normall will merge the islands and repeat the same texture chunk around all 4 sides. It saves UV space that way, but since I'll be touching it up in Zbrush.. it won't matter.

Edited by ChalklYne

Yep no worries.

No grassy bottom

2wvt.jpg

UV map is done.. heres a preview before I exited XSI. I wanna watch The Conjuring real quick... and I'll paint it later tonight. Or at least have a decent rough draft going.

1ih4.jpg

Thanks man, everything looks great. Take your time, I'm just thankful it's being done.

@@Botdra

Should I stick more to the reference pics? Or is it ok to give it a cleaner less hectic more realistic look like this? Because I see some weird stuff going on in the ref textures of this peice that I think will ultimately take away from it.

Up to you though man your mod

Vine texture will be changed for sure

7l9m.jpg

maybe have like 3 variants of each

1xbk.png

b8d.png

Delta_135 likes this

Those variants were me just playing with verts you can notice how im baking the shadows into the texture to show more depth from the vines, so each variance will need it's own shadows and AO pass.. nonetheless I'll do it one peice at a time and finish up this one and it's variants most likely tonight. I might do one a day or something time permitting and give myself a quick tie facility break