No Footsteps Surface

So, in mapping, is there a way to create an invisible surface (like a clip or caulk) that does not play any footsteps when a player walks over it? Perhaps by shadering in new material settings? Maybe a shader that's in the base game already does this?

If thats true, func_wall is probably a better option. Or perhaps something like surfaceparm forcefield?

Well, the func_wall with the forcefield surfaceparm worked. However it kind of defeats the purpose of what I'm trying to pull off if a brush underneath it will generate the footsteps. 

Essentially what I'm attempting is to portray the effects of oxygen draining out of a room. I make it halt all ambient sounds and that but the only thing that remains is footsteps. I figured I could pull this off with an invisible door brush coming up from the ground one unit that eliminates footsteps but I suppose that won't work afterall because it just draws the surfaceparms of the brush under it!  :angry:

I figured I could pull this off with an invisible door brush coming up from the ground one unit that eliminates footsteps but I suppose that won't work afterall because it just draws the surfaceparms of the brush under it!

That sounds like it could work actually, did you try increasing the height (for testing purposes)?

The surfaceparm might do the same thing but as far as I know it's not necessarily a requirement if you make it an entity.

Make the real floor a func_useable that toggles off when your event occurs, and make your "fake" floor a func_useable that appears (with your nosteps/forcefield) shader (so give it "start off")

See if that works.! Unless making it a func_useable stops footsteps on both...