Carcass Error 6210

Ok so I've now tried my hand at making LODs. My model compiles fine until I decide to include LOD1 & the LOD1 tags. I get error 6210, and I've tried fixing the tags as mentioned here http://psyko3d.50webs.com/tutorials/errorfaq.htm to no avail. My LOD1 model & tags have the "_1" after it, and have "stupidtriangle_off_1" linked to nothing (tried a mesh_root and didn't make a difference).

Any ideas guys?

Doesn't sound right at all, stupidtriangle_off should be child to mesh_root and then your model starts under stupidtriangle_off, saying that stupidtriangle_off is linked to nothing is wrong.

All the info I ever followed to get LOD's working and it only took 1 try using Softimage when the paper was written in 3ds max was the character importing tutorial that comes with the SDK written by Tim Appleby.

When making LODs, work on separate scenes. Once the mesh is optimized, do an export test. When successful, rename everything with "_1" as suffix, like you did, except for the bones. The hierarchy should remain the same for that LOD level so you don't have to change anything.

The last step is to load the un-optimized version (or LOD 0) and merge the new LOD_1 scene, max will ask if you want to skip importing duplicates (bones in this case) and you check the "merge" box, if you don't your LOD level will be missing the skeleton it is linked to and make it useless. It's not a problem to have multiple skeletons.

@@minilogoguy18

Yeah, I read through that Appleby doc to make sure I had everything correct. I added a mesh_root to begin with, and removing it changed nothing. Must be different for Max.

@@Psyk0Sith

I thought about using multiple scenes, but I decided to use layers off the bat to keep everything neat.

Thanks for the help guys, I combed the scene again after I finally got some sleep and I fixed it. I had the r_leg named as another l_leg. Loads up and switches fine in Modview now. Doesn't matter how much you learn, you can still trip up on the simplest of things. :P

Psyk0Sith likes this