._. Specifications for a 15 slot server?

Go to solution Solved by Fighter,

Hi ._. I've played jedi academy for a few years on and off and hosted a few servers (on and off).

It's never been a problem in the past but I'm kind of getting tired of constantly having a computer on all the time ._.

Rather than buy a separate dedicated machine, I would rather just delegate the responsibility of hosting (not managing ofc) the server to a company who host things professionally.

I've looked for a short while for VPSs but had no idea what kind of specifications to look for.
I can't imagine that I'd need a lot of bandwidth since I'd be hosting a mod for a practically empty (albeit very fun mod imo!) mod known as makermod ^.^

I imagine that I'd be looking at around 15 slots (rarely happens but still does happen) or even 20 just to be safe ._.

I was thinking of looking at around 1GB of ram but wasn't entirely sure of just how much ram a full server of 15 (active) clients would take up.

I guess whilst we're on the subject of active clients, processor speed would be pretty relevant (although I don't imagine I'd need an i5 for a 10 year old game

• Solution

You wouldn't need a VPS for 15-20 players. A VPS would be more suitable for having multiple servers with a large amount of people on both.

A regular game server from a place like Art of War for example, would suit 15-20 players just fine. I've never used AoW personally, but it appears for a 20-slot server it's around $20.

While you could get a decent VPS from NFO for around $25, getting a regular game server would save you the hassle of updates to the OS, VPS security, etc, unless for some reason you really want access to the entire system.

• 3 weeks later...