Sabers in JK2/JA: Too short, or just right?

I always kinda thought of the lightsaber as a powerful, long, beam sword type weapon...

In Jedi Academy and Outcast though, the sabers always seem too short thought when you swing them around or just stand still on yourself, but when you see other characters using them they look about right... but then again...

Are the saber lengths unrealistic? Should they be longer, or no? In my mod I keep changing it back and forth but I can't seem to decide which looks better...  -_-

It's your perspective when you're playing them that makes them look off. Like you said, when you look at another player or NPC swinging a lightsaber about, there's no problem. Though not consistent with the films, I will say that I do prefer much more of a glow, somewhere around "/rpc_saberglowmultiplier 3". This is actually a fairly recent preference, I used to prefer reducing the radius of the blades in the .sab files to 0.5, like Virtue's when he included his hilt in The_Academy_V2.

:blink:

So, eh, I keep changing it in my mod...

How long is a saber supposed to be exactly? I know in the movies, it's supposed to be either 3 feet, or a meter, which is roughly 40". In jedi academy I don't know exactly what scale the mapping units use, but default saber length (which is in map units) is 40 units long. I think Eez said 50 units is approximately 1 meter, but I don't remember.

Are models and maps done to scale though? Or are mapping units a vague guideline?

The default looks like a fairly reasonable length to me, I think the problem comes more from how detached your leg movement is from what your sabre is doing. As for mapping units, it's really more of a rough guide, characters are about, what, 56 units tall? If 40 units is a meter, that would make characters pretty damn short.

@@Pande and I did some research on this a while back.

a meter is equal to 36.5 units in JKA...

They just have to be different from Quake or something...

The scale of the info_player_deathmatch is 56 units tall, but infact players are 64 units tall. It was commonly believed that they are 56 units tall which is true in Quake games but not in JKA.

This means that 32 units = a meter is wrong also, because they've changed the scale. Some quick ratio math shows us that 36.5 units is in fact a meter.

Depends on the units as people have said. The Force FX sabers have bladed lengths of 32 inches if I remember correctly. It's been a while since I last measured one of them. I think the sabers are a bit too long (really only a bit), but that is a good length for the speed the player moves at running. If the blades were scaled down to what I think is more accurate then the base run movement speed would have to be reduced.

I think staff sabres should have longer blades, as they only have 35 I believe. True it would make them more powerful but it's still a bit unfair that single sabres can have longer blades.

Speaking as someone who doesn't even use a double-bladed lightsaber, I actually prefer them with a length of 40 or so. I made some changes to an NPC wielding one but I was overruled and it was soon changed back to 32.