Viewing member's files as guest

I am disturbed to see that I have to login to the web-site to view my files.

People should have the right to view my uploaded files without having to register on the web-site. Unless this site is a security risk (which means I shouldn't be here in the first place), I don't think we should block guests from viewing member profiles.

Thank you.

I contacted Caelum regarding this matter and here's what he had to say:

There is a good reason: if guest profiles were publicly accessible, bots would be able to crawl it. That means all users' email addresses could be harvested by any bot that wants to.

That said, we have a neat JS thing in place to prevent just that - you can only see email addresses if you have javascript enabled (which bots don't), so it should be implementable without any real security issues. The main question would be whether or not you want to expose anyone's email address to any visitor.

So, other staff + community members, how do you feel about this matter?

I would like to think there is some safe way of letting non registered people download, it would really help the community by having the same freedom we had back in like 04 which I would consider the golden age of jk3files.

Block unregistered users from seeing profiles I can understand but downloading a file shouldn't be a big deal.

Akimoto likes this

Just going to go ahead and point out that you can download files without logging in. You just cant view user profile pages.

Anyhoo, I don't really see how its a big problem that you can't view user profiles without logging in. If it's more secure this way, I say keep it as is. If someone who doesn't have an account REALLY needs to view someone's profile, it really isn't hard to create one.

therfiles likes this