Saber Hilt...UVMapping...

Well, first time posting in a little while.. sorry about that guys! Just been too busy.

Anyways the other night I got some free time and started work on my first saber hilt in a couple years.

I've gotten the design created, however I've ran into an issue....UVMapping doesn't seem to be the same in 3DS Max as it was in Gmax.

So, I'm having issues UVMapping my hilt in order to start working on the textures.

I tried finding a tutorial, but all of the ones I've currently found hasn't worked. I've followed them step by step, yet get a really screwed up UVMapping.

So I was wondering if there's any specific way anyone here UVMap's a hilt in 3DS Max?

mhyjpz.jpg

UV mapping is UV mapping, doesn't have to be aimed at JA specifically to get the same result and 3ds max has probably the most tutorials out there of all the 3d software.

You should cut back some of the detail on the ring or get rid of it completely, looks like it makes up most of the polygons on the entire model.

Which ring? You mean the teal/cyan one? Its just one piece, and I more added it there for the Max view, probably won't put it on the actual lightsaber.

As for the tutorials.. I've been looking for them, but every one I've followed, its ended poorly...real poorly.

I had no issues with doing the UV Mapping in Gmax, but its different in 3DS Max apparently.

Because I go to select the face/edge, and when I go to the edit in Unwrapping, I would normally select the vertex to move the part I've highlighted.

However in 3DS Max I can't seem to find how to select the individual vertex like I used to in Gmax..

What version of 3ds Max are you using? The later versions have much more powerful UV Mapping tools and I wouldn't want to make you a tutorial for a version with options you can't make use of. I have 7 (weaker tools) and 2012 (stronger tools). If you want to send me the hilt I'll show you some simple ways to do it in either version (or both).