Jump to content

Fan-made KOTOR mini series


Recommended Posts

Unreal Cinema is currently working on a KOTOR mini-series. It will be entirely adapted to the Unreal Engine. The creator also got official approval from Lucasfilm to make this series, under the condition that he represents it as a fan creation and doesn't use any licensed footage or music. He is also not allowed to crowdfund or monetize it.

The results look very impressive.

 

DarthValeria, NumberWan and Circa like this
Link to comment
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Circa said:

Amazing. Curious that he used BF2 and JFO assets though. Hopefully he replaces those or else LF might change their mind on allowing this. Especially if EA complains. 

My guess is that those were made from scratch. Maybe they just liked the designs and simply made their own versions. As they got rules they have to stick to, why should they risk to violate them?

Link to comment
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/8/2021 at 5:25 PM, Circa said:

Amazing. Curious that he used BF2 and JFO assets though. Hopefully he replaces those or else LF might change their mind on allowing this. Especially if EA complains. 

If its just a fan made movie/series then they would have to be massive douchebags to do that.

Link to comment
1 hour ago, Bubbles said:

If its just a fan made movie/series then they would have to be massive douchebags to do that.

The whole project was planned as an animated mini-series. Why would the team be "massive douchebags" if they are doing just that?

There are rumours (and some subtle announcements) that an official remake of Knights of the Old Republic is planned. If those rumours are true, then a fan-remake of thoe game would be impossible, because it would be shut down almost immediately.

Although it is not stated in the video, I do think that they would definitely get into trouble if they would do a remake of the game.

DarthValeria likes this
Link to comment

Sorry was not clear. I meant if EA/Lucas arts complained about their assets being used in what is basically machinima then EA/Lucas arts would be douchebags. 

I dont see that happening though. A lot of garry mod movies used stolen assets from Star wars games and other games without issue. The only difference here is the popuarlity of the project.

 

That being said he does have a patreon which a bit on the dodgy side when your doing this type of project as Lucas arts could interpret that as making money off of their IP.

Link to comment
8 hours ago, Bubbles said:

That being said he does have a patreon which a bit on the dodgy side when your doing this type of project as Lucas arts could interpret that as making money off of their IP.

And here's the difference: He has stated that the money goes directly to the YouTube channel only. In that case, it's completely alright to collect money. But if he would create a Patreon page specifically for this project, he would simply break one of the rules given to him. If he did, the project would've been already shut down by now.

Link to comment
10 hours ago, Lancelot said:

And here's the difference: He has stated that the money goes directly to the YouTube channel only. In that case, it's completely alright to collect money. But if he would create a Patreon page specifically for this project, he would simply break one of the rules given to him. If he did, the project would've been already shut down by now.

The difference is irrelevant its how Lucas arts interpret it.

I personally find it hard to believe that none of that money will go to funding the project but it doesnt bother me.

Link to comment
3 hours ago, Bubbles said:

The difference is irrelevant its how Lucas arts interpret it.

I personally find it hard to believe that none of that money will go to funding the project but it doesnt bother me.

Keep in mind he got official approval from Lucasfilm to do this, which means they knew about the patreon already. I’m pretty sure that patreon has been active for his overall channel for more than just this project.

Lancelot likes this

spacer.png

Link to comment
17 minutes ago, Circa said:

Keep in mind he got official approval from Lucasfilm to do this, which means they knew about the patreon already. I’m pretty sure that patreon has been active for his overall channel for more than just this project.

His channel only lists stuff related to the star wars project. Maybe they gave him the green light for pateron. It would depend if he specfically asked if using Patreon was ok.

Link to comment
  • 4 weeks later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...