Model modelling: making a cap

Go to solution Solved by AshuraDX,

caps appears for show cutted flesh limbs when an enemy is dismembered by saber. i have a lot of models for JKA but they are without many "caps" only head-torso and torso-head are already fines.

so i was asking, there is some way to making caps for models without become crazy to select every edge of every mesh limbs, extrude it, scale to 0, move vertex to center of caps, detaching, renaming and uvmapping? (and also duplicate and flip for make the specular cap of the other limb: example l_hand_cap_l_arm -> flip -> l_arm_cap_l_hand.

flipping is not so hard for me, the problem is selecting edge and extrude, for each model i need to do almost seven times. any other way for creating caps? the bad wireframe of models (is a no - regular rings wireframe) not help to do caps manually.

is not possible to simply copy and merge by other models because caps not fix fine in that case. and fixing moving vertexes to coordinates of vertexes of models is pretty painful and tiring.

thanks for every answer.

• Solution

You use 3ds max, correct?
Then it should be as easy as making a copy of your model, attach all pieces together and convert that merged copy to an editable_poly object. Next up go to the modifier tab/mode, pick border selection and drag a large rectangle around your model (ctrl + a sadly doesn't give the desired result here).

This will select all open edgeloops on the model.

Next up, click the "cap" button to automatically close those holes. Now hold ctrl and change to face selection - This should select all of your new caps, if it also selects additional faces: click shrink selection once. When you have all of your caps selected, detach them and delete the merged mesh.

This will leave you with an object that has all your caps. Select that object, go to vertex selection, press ctrl + a and click "connect". This will triangulate the caps for you.

Now add an Unwrap UVW modifier. Enable select by element and apply a planar map to all caps, I'd recommend using the "best align" option to make this quicker.

Once this is done convert to editable poly again and detach each of the caps into their own objects and name them.

Then it should be as easy as making a copy of your model, attach all pieces together and convert that merged copy to an editable_poly object. Next up go to the modifier tab/mode, pick border selection and drag a large rectangle around your model (ctrl + a sadly doesn't give the desired result here).

Next up, click the "cap" button to automatically close those holes. Now hold ctrl and change to face selection - This should select all of your new caps, if it also selects additional faces: click shrink selection once. When you have all of your caps selected, detach them and delete the merged mesh.

This will leave you with an object that has all your caps. Select that object, go to vertex selection, press ctrl + a and click "connect". This will triangulate the caps for you.

Now add an Unwrap UVW modifier. Enable select by element and apply a planar map to all caps, I'd recommend using the "best align" option to make this quicker.

Once this is done convert to editable poly again and detach each of the caps into their own objects and name them.

Yes 3d maX! Oh Thanks! I print the answer! i'll did ASAP. until today i used the method of psyk0sith tutorial :\

Okay i tryed but i have some problem or maybe i skip some part. i have 3d max 5

1 copy the model: done

2 attach all pieces, done

3 convert editable mesh to editable poly, done.

4 border selection, select all borders, done

5 cap borders, done (this some time crash 3d max)

"hold ctrl and change to face selection - This should select all of your new caps, if it also selects additional faces: click shrink selection once. When you have all of your caps selected, detach them and delete the merged mesh."

mmm how? there ares elements and polygon on editable poly options. not faces. :\ 

i need to convert to editable mesh and select face or whats? shrinks function is not available on editable mesh face mode.

Okay i tryed but i have some problem or maybe i skip some part. i have 3d max 5

1 copy the model: done

2 attach all pieces, done

3 convert editable mesh to editable poly, done.

4 border selection, select all borders, done

5 cap borders, done (this some time crash 3d max)

"hold ctrl and change to face selection - This should select all of your new caps, if it also selects additional faces: click shrink selection once. When you have all of your caps selected, detach them and delete the merged mesh."

mmm how? there ares elements and polygon on editable poly options. not faces. :\ 

i need to convert to editable mesh and select face or whats? shrinks function is not available on editable mesh face mode.

Sorry, I meant polygon mode - I use them interchangeably from time to time. Internally (In maxscript) polygons are called faces. So just remember that when I say faces I'm usually talking about polygons.

It should not crash at all doing that, which version of 3ds max do you use? Can you send me your scene file? I use 3ds max 2016, and i'll gladly take a look and see wether I can figur eout whats going wrong.

Sorry, I meant polygon mode - I use them interchangeably from time to time. Internally (In maxscript) polygons are called faces. So just remember that when I say faces I'm usually talking about polygons.

It should not crash at all doing that, which version of 3ds max do you use? Can you send me your scene file? I use 3ds max 2016, and i'll gladly take a look and see wether I can figur eout whats going wrong.

ah thanks. okay polygon :D

i use max 5 because i have win xp sp3 as OS.

as you can see the model wireframe is little nasty for caping because on blender before importing on max i need to decimate geometry. if not they are too complex for JKA .

2iqg39e.jpg

shrinking not selecting the corrects faces for make capping unfortunely this wireframe is something of terrible >.<

i will send you the file if you want to give a look and see how to do with this crazy model.

if you have success let me know so i can use tecnique for future models.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/wtkfol

Works fine only for arms-hands caps for now :\ the problem is is not a ringed wireframe.

Well I can tell you that this model is completely fucked.

It has holes in it all over the places - capping this with my method will not work without a ton of manual work to fix up the model.

You could decimate the model in 3ds max, does the ProOptimizer modifier exist in max 5? If so you could work wirth a clean version of the mesh and decimate before export.

Asgarath83 likes this

Well I can tell you that this model is completely fucked.

It has holes in it all over the places - capping this with my method will not work without a ton of manual work to fix up the model.

You could decimate the model in 3ds max, does the ProOptimizer modifier exist in max 5? If so you could work wirth a clean version of the mesh and decimate before export.

I suspected.so blender decimator has fucked up wireframe of model.

mmmm

the only area cappable are torso-hips and arms-torso sections. :\ head-torso not need cap because model is configured on original game for cut the heads (i am trying to port on JKA some of the witcher models )

There is not pro optimizer modifier in max 5. i have also max 10 and i can check on that. maybe i can import models by blender to max 2010 capping and decimate on max 10 and after port to 5 for rigging (i not like much max 10 UI and more recent max  not works on windows XP. )

mmm on 5 on modifier table lists there is Optimize modifier. maybe i can try that. i will let you know progress.

The optimizer fixed up magically all wireframe rings holes! Now is detachable also manually! Thanks @@AshuraDX!

Today i am busy but i will retry your method of autocapping ASAP. stay tuned :)

Max 2010 can open max 5 files, just not the other way around.

Edit: But there is a script that allows you to port scene contents between max version which should work with max 2010 and max 5.

Max 2010 can open max 5 files, just not the other way around.

Edit: But there is a script that allows you to port scene contents between max version which should work with max 2010 and max 5.

Interessing. name of the script?^

however... optimize fix all border holes so i i can make cape with extrusion. your method sadly on this model not works much fine.

question, if i select edges or borders manually and i press CTRL A this can autotriangle the mesh creating the central vertexes and the new faces without became crazy to extrude every time?

Interessing. name of the script?^

however... optimize fix all border holes so i i can make cape with extrusion. your method sadly on this model not works much fine.

question, if i select edges or borders manually and i press CTRL A this can autotriangle the mesh creating the central vertexes and the new faces without became crazy to extrude every time?

here's the script: http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/bff-2007

Can you send me a non decimated version of the model?

here's the script: http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/bff-2007

Can you send me a non decimated version of the model?

I have a GLM and a 3DS format. but glm is decimated and i use for import on max. not read the 3ds created with the witchermodelconverters... maybe you are more lucky.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/tqfpl8 folder with: 3ds not decimated. blender saves versions of model (you can open with blender 2.68) a decimated 3ds and a decimated glm, and textures. good luck >.<

@@Asgarath83

I cleaned up the model:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5po63zgec63b8hy/bandit_cleaned.ms?dl=0

Just run this script, it was created with the scene transfer script and will regenerate the model objects in your max version of choice.

I also just wrote a small script to auto-generate the required caps for a JKA model.

It works by assuming that you have all dismemberable body part meshes in your max scene, so you will need to make sure that your scene includes these objects:

head
torso
r_arm
l_arm
r_hand
l_hand
hips
r_leg
l_leg

It works on the scene you will get when executing the bandit_cleaned.ms file.

here's the ModelCapper script: https://www.dropbox.com/s/n7a2u6gmfg9qd3v/ModelCapper.ms?dl=0

@@Asgarath83

I cleaned up the model:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5po63zgec63b8hy/bandit_cleaned.ms?dl=0

Just run this script, it was created with the scene transfer script and will regenerate the model objects in your max version of choice.

I also just wrote a small script to auto-generate the required caps for a JKA model.

It works by assuming that you have all dismemberable body part meshes in your max scene, so you will need to make sure that your scene includes these objects:

head
torso
r_arm
l_arm
r_hand
l_hand
hips
r_leg
l_leg

It works on the scene you will get when executing the bandit_cleaned.ms file.

here's the ModelCapper script: https://www.dropbox.com/s/n7a2u6gmfg9qd3v/ModelCapper.ms?dl=0

And so, i load max 2010, run the scripts and convert to max 5 files? or there runs also on oldest max 5?

however many thanks friend. the capping detaching work is the baddest for make models compatible for JKA. porting, decimating and rooting the meshes are never so f**ed hard like manually cap each damn model >.<

thanks i really hope this boot up the job. my models get ever these body parts name, not worry, because i see that models without the nine parts cannot use WP_SABER.

And so, i load max 2010, run the scripts and convert to max 5 files? or there runs also on oldest max 5?

however many thanks friend. the capping detaching work is the baddest for make models compatible for JKA. porting, decimating and rooting the meshes are never so f**ed hard like manually cap each damn model >.

thanks i really hope this boot up the job. my models get ever these body parts name, not worry, because i see that models without the nine parts cannot use WP_SABER.

these should run in max 5 - please try it and if they do not let me know, I mgiht be able to fix it.

Also for this particular model - I would not decimate it. it's low enough in vertex and polycount that it should not kill JKA

these should run in max 5 - please try it and if they do not let me know, I mgiht be able to fix it.

Also for this particular model - I would not decimate it. it's low enough in vertex and polycount that it should not kill JKA

ehm sorry for silly question but ... how can i load model and capper by ms file ? i never used max scripts. i try to load  bandit by openlistener option and save as txt and after save as all files *.max format but max 5 give me error. sure i not know how use correctly scripts. my shame >.<

@@Asgarath83 in the top menu bar go to MAXScript>Run Script...

and select the bandit_cleaned.ms file to import it.

once that is done, just run the modelCapper.ms file to cap everything.

i Did but unlucky failed to load

@@Asgarath83 in the top menu bar go to MAXScript>Run Script...

and select the bandit_cleaned.ms file to import it.

once that is done, just run the modelCapper.ms file to cap everything.

10qbgyf.png

can you send me model on 3ds \ OBJ \ Glm \ *max  format?

@@Asgarath83 Try it in max 2010 and export to .obj from there, this should have worked in max 5. i'll investigate.

Feedback.

workaround until now.

Max 2010: i had to reinstall for "software license error 10 failed to iniziated blablabla" after reinstallation max 2010 works fine.

run scripts.

result: bandits script: same error of max 5:

BFF Import progress report

and there is a box with list of all meshes of models. and meshes are all signed Failed.

About modelcapper script

2lmqi44.jpg

O.o however thanks for help. i not want to stole other of your time.

Maybe i can use Optimize for fix geometry of models and after convert meshes to editable poly, select borders, cap, detach and use control + a on edges for manually triangulate faces. should be little fast and less stressing of extrusion.

Feedback.

workaround until now.

Max 2010: i had to reinstall for "software license error 10 failed to iniziated blablabla" after reinstallation max 2010 works fine.

run scripts.

result: bandits script: same error of max 5:

BFF Import progress report

and there is a box with list of all meshes of models. and meshes are all signed Failed.

About modelcapper script

2lmqi44.jpg

O.o however thanks for help. i not want to stole other of your time.

Maybe i can use Optimize for fix geometry of models and after convert meshes to editable poly, select borders, cap, detach and use control + a on edges for manually triangulate faces. should be little fast and less stressing of extrusion.

the error from my model capper script is a result of the improted meshes not being set to editable poly!

Running the bandit file should work though - I have no clue why it does not.

@@ArchAngel do you happen to have max 2010 installed?

Archangel35757 likes this

the error from my model capper script is a result of the improted meshes not being set to editable poly!

Running the bandit file should work though - I have no clue why it does not.

@@ArchAngel do you happen to have max 2010 installed?

Sorry my silly mistake.

okay i retryed, detached mesh and converted to editable poly all the nine meshes.

(but my optimized not your clean because i really have trouble to import on max 2010 i not understand why. )

sure my model is broken also if optimized for decimation because...well

that's result: it works on 2010 max. on 5 crash the program. but also with crash i see the result is the same ine ver max version.

261kmlf.jpg

on white and moved up respect to violet body for make in evidenze, i show you the geometry of the caps. they are not exactly from the borders and edges of meshes and they are not much triangulated. however i think the trouble is the model. your plug in is really fantastic. maybe i can  try with some better model for see results. a not decimate model... mmm