Please for the love of FSM, would someone make a model importing, weighting and exporting tutorial.

We ( I ) desperately need one.

Every other tutorial on the web on how to import and modify a model for JKA is either impossible to follow, for JK2, or incomplete.

I know you are out there, people who know how to do this T_T

I'd do one, but I'd hate being called out by the "pros" for "doing it wrong." :(

So long as it works it really doesn't matter. And hell, if a pro calls you out on "doing it wrong" that just gives you an oppertunity to improve your tutorial =P

I'm waiting on Inyri to texture my Kain model, was going to do a video tutorial for Softimage taking that model from start to finish, fitting model to skeleton, envelope weights, segmenting, heirarchy, export, compile and test.

The thing is even with a video tutorial with narration it wont help a whole lot if you don't know the software at all so some basic knowledge is needed to start.

The reason why there isn't such a tutorial is because you can learn all the things needed, they just aren't written for this game but it's still the same thing.

I'm waiting on Inyri to texture my Kain model, was going to do a video tutorial for Softimage taking that model from start to finish, fitting model to skeleton, envelope weights, segmenting, heirarchy, export, compile and test.

The thing is even with a video tutorial with narration it wont help a whole lot if you don't know the software at all so some basic knowledge is needed to start.

The reason why there isn't such a tutorial is because you can learn all the things needed, they just aren't written for this game but it's still the same thing.

Aye, I am not after general modelling instruction, just the process of getting the a model into the editor, and then weighting it /whatever else is required to get it back into the game.

You had better download the program because if I were to make the video for people who have never opened the program in their life it would be HOURS long, my intention is to make one with the people in mind who have a grasp of the program and it's basic functions, mainly for those who already know how to use it to build their own models. It wont be teaching how to weigh models, while I will weigh a model during the video it will mainly show techniques on how to do it quickly and efficiently so people see it's pretty easy.

You can use max 6, the only thing with max is above version 5 animations wont work since the program adds a node to the heirarchy on export, a sort of watermark that messes animations up, blame the developers of max for that.

Pretty sure someone got models from Maya working, it's not program specific, as long as the program can generate a .XSI 3.x file in ascii format with the animation plot set to linear interpolation then you can export anything.

well I could probably record a video tutorial on how to get player models weighted and ingame with max 6/7

maybe I'll just weight urai and record that , with some explanations here and there but as ancient max versions are rare these days

I doubt it'll be that useful

MUG likes this

well I could probably record a video tutorial on how to get player models weighted and ingame with max 6/7

Sounds awesome to me. If you could cover importing to max too that would be amazing.

We ( I ) desperately need one.

Every other tutorial on the web on how to import and modify a model for JKA is either impossible to follow, for JK2, or incomplete.

I know you are out there, people who know how to do this T_T

Here are two wonderful tutorials made by a fellow clan member.

http://knights-rebor...opic.php?t=8372 - Player modeling / importing

http://knights-rebor...opic.php?t=5612 - Weapon modeling / importing

I find them very useful. :)

^The player modeling one isn't much better than the one that comes with the SDK. He even used an image of Aurra Sing from that tutorial.

I mean, you guys do know that there is a MS Word file tutorial that comes with the JA SDK right?

I have had no time lately since I keep staying late at work to make some more money but I'll probably do one for a walker type model too since I've been picking at the at-rt.

I only have 3dmax6 >.>, i have maya laying around here, but thats not really for JA :P I may just stick to models then export em as 3ds files

You can use max 6, the only thing with max is above version 5 animations wont work since the program adds a node to the heirarchy on export, a sort of watermark that messes animations up, blame the developers of max for that.

Pretty sure someone got models from Maya working, it's not program specific, as long as the program can generate a .XSI 3.x file in ascii format with the animation plot set to linear interpolation then you can export anything.

Max 8 also works perfectly fine, tis what I use.