Misc_models Acting Weird

My misc_models are failing at life. 

Problem #1: They aren't solid in-game. I'm trying to use the autoclipping feature that is accessible by entering "spawnflags 2" into the model's properties. This has always worked for me with other models in other maps. But for some reason, I can still walk through the models in-game.

Problem #2: They seem to be, all on their own, dramatically increasing the number of lights in my map. The shader applied to them has no light-emitting properties. Nevertheless, when I compile with the models in my map, the light stage reports processing 900 total lights. When I delete the models and try the compile again, changing NOTHING else, the light count plummets down to around 100. This means that something about these models is increasing my compile times, yielding no visual improvements whatsoever, and wasting precious minutes that I need to meet the deadline for this project. 

Honestly, I didn't think misc_models were capable of emitting light in the first place, so I don't see how they could be having this effect.

Here is the shader I am using for each model:

textures/haunted_halls/greencrystal
{
q3map_nolightmap
qer_editorimage textures/haunted_halls/greenstuff
surfaceparm trans
surfaceparm nonopaque
    {
        map textures/haunted_halls/greenstuff
        blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ONE
        rgbGen const ( 0.5 0.5 0.5 )
    }
    {
        map textures/common/env_chrome
        blendFunc GL_DST_COLOR GL_SRC_COLOR
        tcGen environment
    }
}

And yes, this is the map I'm making for the Halloween contest. I didn't see a rule anywhere saying that I couldn't ask for assistance with my entry. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on this.

@@AshuraDX Hope this Google Drive link works. You'll find one folder in the .zip archive. Put that folder in your maps directory. The .map and .md3 files are inside. If you need the shader I'm using for the model, it's in the original post.

Thanks!

P.S. As you'll see, the spawnflags are 2, not 6.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5h3mw7Vh5k4VFZBUC1uczhaZUE/view?usp=sharing

I'll check it out when I'm home from work. In the meantime: Have you tried spawnflags 0 (no-autoclip) to see if it still emits light?

Haven't tried that yet, mainly because I want the models to be solid, and clipping them manually would be a big waste of time right now, with the contest deadline so close. Maybe I'll try it another time, after the contest. We'll see.

Haven't tried that yet, mainly because I want the models to be solid, and clipping them manually would be a big waste of time right now, with the contest deadline so close. Maybe I'll try it another time, after the contest. We'll see.

I'm on my way home now. How many of these models do you have in your map? Is it only one specific model, or do other models cause this increase too?

@@Jedi_Mediator I have taken a look at the .md3 model and it's a mess. every face is its own mesh object and the whole thing has holes. This might be why it can't be autoclipped.

EDIT: these are for you:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/th4j5cll42czfyu/clips.zip?dl=0

If you give me a .map containing all entities referencing this model in your map, I can make a full set of clip brushes for you. Perfect opportunity to test my WIP 3ds max Mapping plugin.

Archangel35757 likes this

I used Noesis to export the .md3 files, either from .ase or straight from .bsp...can't remember which. Noesis is a tool I heard about on another thread here on JKHub. I thought it would be incredibly useful, allowing me (who is clueless about modeling programs) to make simple models using Radiant. But if this is the problem it creates every time, then it must not work as well as I assumed it would.

Here's the link to a .map file containing every problem misc_model in my map. There are two other .md3 files not included in the first .zip I gave you. I included them in this one. Just unzip the whole contents of the .zip to your maps folder, and everything should work right. If you feel like it, you can clip the new models as well. Do what you want though, and no need to hurry, because I found a way to (kind of) work around the broken misc_models, even though they're not solid. So I will still be able to submit my entry even if you want to take your time with making the clip brushes.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5h3mw7Vh5k4eVZKVzZiU1g4SjA/view?usp=sharing

Thanks again!

I used Noesis to export the .md3 files, either from .ase or straight from .bsp...can't remember which. Noesis is a tool I heard about on another thread here on JKHub. I thought it would be incredibly useful, allowing me (who is clueless about modeling programs) to make simple models using Radiant. But if this is the problem it creates every time, then it must not work as well as I assumed it would.

Here's the link to a .map file containing every problem misc_model in my map. There are two other .md3 files not included in the first .zip I gave you. I included them in this one. Just unzip the whole contents of the .zip to your maps folder, and everything should work right. If you feel like it, you can clip the new models as well. Do what you want though, and no need to hurry, because I found a way to (kind of) work around the broken misc_models, even though they're not solid. So I will still be able to submit my entry even if you want to take your time with making the clip brushes.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5h3mw7Vh5k4eVZKVzZiU1g4SjA/view?usp=sharing

Thanks again!

Seeing that making the clip brushes takes me little to no time - I'll get to that once I'm on my PC

@@AshuraDX As far as I could tell during troubleshooting, all of them refused to be autoclipped, and all of them seemed to generate extra lights during compile. I was in a hurry because of the deadline, so I can't be 100% sure, but I'm pretty certain that they were all causing the problem. It would make sense, since all of them were exported with Noesis.

Like I said, if you don't want to deal with the two extra models, that's fine. I can send you a .map file that only includes references to the first model you examined. But maybe having three different models would be helpful in testing/developing your plugin.

Wow, that's great! I imported the .map file and everything is clipped quite nicely. A few observations: the first time I did a -meta compile with your clip brushes in the map, I got loads of "duplicate plane" warnings in the error window. But the map still played fine, and in later compiles, these errors were mysteriously gone. I'm sure they were just caused by generating clip brushes from my very weirdly-angled models. Also, I had to manually rotate one set of clip brushes into place. It was the top-leftmost model in the map, when viewed from XY perspective. It was just the wrong orientation compared to the model. It took less than a minute to fix, but it might be something to look at as you develop your plugin.

Anyway, thanks for all the help! You will definitely be recognized in the map credits.

Wow, that's great! I imported the .map file and everything is clipped quite nicely. A few observations: the first time I did a -meta compile with your clip brushes in the map, I got loads of "duplicate plane" warnings in the error window. But the map still played fine, and in later compiles, these errors were mysteriously gone. I'm sure they were just caused by generating clip brushes from my very weirdly-angled models. Also, I had to manually rotate one set of clip brushes into place. It was the top-leftmost model in the map, when viewed from XY perspective. It was just the wrong orientation compared to the model. It took less than a minute to fix, but it might be something to look at as you develop your plugin.

Anyway, thanks for all the help! You will definitely be recognized in the map credits.

you got loads of duplicate plane warnings you say? I thought I fixed those.... It has nothing to do with your models.

EDIT: found the reason for the duplicate planes error, should be sorted now.