ICARUS scripting in ioquake3?

Hi there. 

I'm building a game on the Quake 2 engine. However ioQuake3 has been an option I have been considering for a few days now mostly due to skeletal animation. But the biggest limitation holding me back with it is I've been somewhat dissatisfied with the scripting support in Quake 3. 

I have used some of BehaveEd in the past and I've really liked using it. What I'm wondering is how easy would it be to get Icarus Scripting working within ioQuake3? Or is it too reliant on other parts of the Quake 3 engine that Raven software modified?

I would guess it's not super tricky, but why not use a proper scripting language like Lua instead? That would probably be comparable in terms of work.

May I ask what type of game you're making? It's difficult to give good advice without knowing the exact requirements.

• 4 weeks later...

I would guess it's not super tricky, but why not use a proper scripting language like Lua instead? That would probably be comparable in terms of work.

May I ask what type of game you're making? It's difficult to give good advice without knowing the exact requirements.

My goal is to make a singleplayer game with RPG elements and hub based level design with scripted NPCs, shops and an inventory system. Ideally I want to do this in a much older engine since I'm fascinated by old video game engines.

Why not base it on Jedi Academy's engine then? It already has NPCs, limited support for hubs and scripting.

It's an option I've been considering, since Academy is gpl and it's the game I've had the most experience modding for. The code being gpl is very agreeable to me since ideally I'd also want to sell a project like this.

The biggest determining factor for me though right now is picking an engine that isn't painful to actually use. Since I've been having lots of trouble using MD2 converters and have been considering Quake 3 since I'm more familiar with it's engine. (and there's a great deal more documentation for editing it that works with modern tools. A lot of the tutorials I've found for importing into Quake 2 mostly require using depreciated programs like Milkshape). 

Just keep in mind that while the GPL allows you to sell your game, you still have to provide the source code to anyone who buys it, who can then do the same. That might not be a problem since you still own the assets, see Blendo Games for successful examples of games built on GPL idTech engines.