Getting me Started?

Kendavi

If anyone is willing to help me with this, I would like to get started in.. "coding" I know how to get the program up and running, but I can't seem to follow the set-up that JACoders.org has. If you can screenshot or something your set-up that would be pretty cool too ^_^. Also, some good web-sites to learn C or C++ would be helpful that is straightforward in learning it. I've been trying to get this set-up, but then I usually have to re-format my computer afterwards because something is wrong with it, so i'm trying to hurry and get it set back up again. Also if you know a better program then VS 2010 then suggest them, if you want to.

Thanks all <3 (God Bless the People who died in the 9'11 attack)!

I'm assuming you mean the Debug setup?

All you need to do is right click your UI project (in the (usually left hand) panel titled solution explorer), and go to the properties for the project, with something similar to this:

debug.png

(My window may look slightly different, I'm running VS 2008 Express Edition)

Command:

C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData\jamp.exe (or similar path to jamp.exe)

Command Arguments

+set fs_cdpath "C:\progra~2\LucasArts\starwa~1\GameData" +set fs_game "modbase" +set viewlog 1

Parts in italicized text will vary based on what your setup is. Generally, the JAC version of the SDK uses "modbase".

Working Directory

../..

Ignore what I wrote in mine above, that uses JKG's settings instead of the JACoders SDK

Now, all you have to do is hit OK, right click on your UI project again, and click on Set as Start-Up Project. Next, all you have to do is hit the debug button (green arrow) to launch the game and be able to edit the code on the fly while the game is running. This is known as debugging for Visual Studio, and carries a LOT of useful purposes that you'll discover later on.

As for programming sites, I would recommend just looking through some of the easier sections of code first. Right Click > Go To Definition, Go To Declaration, and Find All References are your best friends. player_die is a good function to look at. It's what gets called whenever someone dies. Also, the drawing code in cg_draw.c is pretty straightforward. It's just a bunch of function calls to draw stuff like ammo and whatnot on the HUD. For learning basic C syntax though, I recommend CProgramming.com.

Coding will take you quite a while to learn though, so don't get too frustrated. I recommend you chill over at #JACoders irc on ArloriaNet sometime. Somebody is bound to be there to help you.

Thank you eez!!! This helped so much more then what I read on JACoders, it didn't explain the full path or anything and they had a lot more involved. Of course it said that they weren't here to just "give" you code. This is a much more simpler version, so thanks! I must of read the

Stuff on the website wrong :/. You also helped with what I was looking for (where I begin) MUCH APPRECIATED!!

eezstreet likes this