Playing JA on your TV

Anyone here play JA on your TV? I just got a new smart TV so I could play the game from a laptop and put it on the TV. My question is does the quality of screen resolution decrease with this, I'm in need of either a new PC or laptop (which I may purchase this weekend) and I would just go with the laptop if the screen resolution stays the same on the TV.

Smoo likes this

Anyone here play JA on your TV? I just got a new smart TV so I could play the game from a laptop and put it on the TV. My question is does the quality of screen resolution decrease with this, I'm in need of either a new PC or laptop (which I may purchase this weekend) and I would just go with the laptop if the screen resolution stays the same on the TV.

I just put a HDMI cable from my pc to my 50inch 1080p tv.with a wireless controller and it works perfect.You need to either have a modded version of JKA that support 1080 or do some small .cfg fiddling to make base jka work on 1080p.

Jeff and Smoo like this

With OpenJK in Windows (8.1), if you set it to a higher resolution (your laptop screen's native res.), the game will scale down to 720p or 1080p automatically (if you plug in the HDMI before starting the game) without changing any of your custom settings, which I found really nifty! :D

(Just make sure you don't close your laptop's lid completely, as then things go haywire res-wise.)

As for the gamepad, I can highly recommend the Logitech F710 from my own experience:

mobile01-094fef0321cb77aad24a90d3f1e15d9

(Though keep in mind that JA was not really designed for gamepad-based control, so your overall skill-based performance/accuracy/mobility may vary from what you are used to with the keyboard & mouse. ;))

For reference, a 1080p TV has 1920x1080 pixels as its res., while a 720p TV has 1280x720. Your maximum res. depends on what 1) your TV supports as maximum, and 2) your graphics card supports. Most of today's graphics cards can easily display over 1080p though.

Smoo and Jeff like this

With OpenJK in Windows (8.1), if you set it to a higher resolution (your laptop screen's native res.), the game will scale down to 720p or 1080p automatically (if you plug in the HDMI before starting the game) without changing any of your custom settings, which I found really nifty! :D

(Just make sure you don't close your laptop's lid completely, as then things go haywire res-wise.)

As for the gamepad, I can highly recommend the Logitech F710 from my own experience:

mobile01-094fef0321cb77aad24a90d3f1e15d9

(Though keep in mind that JA was not really designed for gamepad-based control, so your overall skill-based performance/accuracy/mobility may vary from what you are used to with the keyboard & mouse. ;))

For reference, a 1080p TV has 1920x1080 pixels as its res., while a 720p TV has 1280x720. Your maximum res. depends on what 1) your TV supports as maximum, and 2) your graphics card supports. Most of today's graphics cards can easily display over 1080p though.

As far as a controller I use a xbox 360 controller and I use Joy2key to map the buttons. Really works just like playing on the XBOX.

Darth Sion and Cerez like this

As far as a controller I use a xbox 360 controller and I use Joy2key to map the buttons. Really works just like playing on the XBOX.

Didn't know you could do that with a wireless Xbox 360 controller, but if you can, that's pretty much the same thing, yeah. (I've kind of grown attached to my lil' PC gamepad.) ^_^

Jeff likes this

Didn't know you could do that with a wireless Xbox 360 controller, but if you can, that's pretty much the same thing, yeah. (I've kind of grown attached to my lil' PC gamepad.) ^_^

Yeah I grew up with a controller and have never mastered playing with keyboard and mouse. 

JaceSolarisVIII and Cerez like this

...you cant strafe jump with controllers lol.

Actually, I'll have to contest that one. ;) I've configured my gamepad to have the left joystick strafe and move forward and backward, and the right joystick for aim/turn in JA. Can do it all. :D

The only thing is it feels different, and turning with a joystick is always slower than turning with a mouse -- and let's face it, JA requires split-second turning in a duel. But if everyone was forced to play with a gamepad, I think dueling in the game would actually be a better experience overall (more movie-like, and less crazy with the custom turning/sensitivity settings).

As for SP, there are no problems playing JA with a gamepad. It actually feels a little better, depending on what you like, of course.

Jeff likes this

Well I wouldn't say "better".  But it would be better if all the tricks and crazy mouse settings to get wiggles and pokes were removed, it would be better.  Because let's face it when I see the person's saber moving at mach 3 in a movie while they are spinning its ridiculous and not really fair imo.

Cerez likes this