Problem with OpenJK and VS2010

MoJo JoJo

I recently installed VS2010 so I could compile OpenJK with it rather than VS2013 because I think VS2013 is shit to be honest. But anyway I try to select it as the project file generator in CMake and I get messages saying that errors occured and build failed and a bunch of other crap. Is there any way around this?

Well currently I have both VS2010 and VS2013 and in CMake they both are on the list of other generators, while CMake obviously recognizes VS2013 it won't recognize VS2010, as if I hadn't installed it at all. And I know for sure OpenJK has been compiled with VS2010 before as I have seen it mentioned on the builds page that they are built from VS2010. Now of course if that's not at all true then I will always go for the other alternative and try to install and use VS2015.

I have seen on other topics that the MAX PATCH PLANES errors don't happen in OpenJK when compiled with VS2010, but I definitely know for sure it happens when compiled with VS2013.

P.S. I don't even understand the errors that CMake throws up when I try to configure the project so I have no way of actually fixing them.

Hmm... Okay then. I was really never aware that it required VS2013 or later until now.

Now as for the MAX PATCH PLANES errors, even though the problem has been fixed, every now and then I still end up having this problem with some maps. It rarely happens but still it happens, which it never happened in the original JAMP. It sounds to me there's probably no way of getting around it and I'm afraid VS2015 is gonna screw it up more.

Hmm... Okay then. I was really never aware that it required VS2013 or later until now.

Now as for the MAX PATCH PLANES errors, even though the problem has been fixed, every now and then I still end up having this problem with some maps. It rarely happens but still it happens, which it never happened in the original JAMP. It sounds to me there's probably no way of getting around it and I'm afraid VS2015 is gonna screw it up more.

Or you could try it and not bring preconceived notions to the table. He said it was fixed. Compile the game and see for yourself.

Well currently I have both VS2010 and VS2013 and in CMake they both are on the list of other generators, while CMake obviously recognizes VS2013 it won't recognize VS2010, as if I hadn't installed it at all. And I know for sure OpenJK has been compiled with VS2010 before as I have seen it mentioned on the builds page that they are built from VS2010. Now of course if that's not at all true then I will always go for the other alternative and try to install and use VS2015.

I have seen on other topics that the MAX PATCH PLANES errors don't happen in OpenJK when compiled with VS2010, but I definitely know for sure it happens when compiled with VS2013.

P.S. I don't even understand the errors that CMake throws up when I try to configure the project so I have no way of actually fixing them.

2010 has been unsupported by OpenJK for I think at least 6 months now and the batch file for it was removed from the repository not to long ago to ensure people aren't trying to use it.  2010 still had the error, so this was a misconceived notion from whomever told you this.

For what it's worth the "error" didn't happen in original JAMP because the game is so old and compiled with ancient and possibly crappy floating point precision back then.  It was fixed by altering the floating point epsilon numbers to a more accurate value for newer compilers.  The code itself hadn't been changed from the original JAMP even prior to the fix was made.

For what it's worth the "error" didn't happen in original JAMP because the game is so old and compiled with ancient and possibly crappy floating point precision back then.  It was fixed by altering the floating point epsilon numbers to a more accurate value for newer compilers.

This isn't quite right. The original JAMP used more precision than OpenJK - I had to relax the epsilon value because it was being too restrictive given the reduced precision in OpenJK builds.
Smoo likes this

I just downloaded two builds from last year, one from april 13th and another from june 11th, and the april 13th build was the last one that didn't have MAX PATCH PLANES errors, the june 11th one and all the others after that do. Now the weird thing I have noticed is that the dismemberment problem that I had mentioned before also didn't happen on any of the builds before the june 11th one and all the others after it. I on the other hand however, have always had these two issues even if I have compiled the code from a repository time from when the builds without these problems were produced. This makes me think that the dismemberment being affected by the MAX SABER VICTIMS in JASP is caused from precision loss as well.

To sum it up: all the builds that cause MAX PATCH PLANES errors to show up on some maps, also have the dismemberment issue. This dismemberment problem has also occurred when compiling the original JKA source, I couldn't see if there were any MAX PATCH PLANES errors in the original JKA MP because the compile failed whenever I tried.

Max patch planes has existed since at least late 2013 if not 2014.

If it still happens on "some maps" then you need to report the maps to us so the precision further if necessary.

I have one map called "helmsdeep" that has this problem with OpenJK. The map is most likely on this site somewhere, and there is also a version for JK2, though the one I'm using is for JKA... Obviously. So far this is the only map that I have this problem with, other than one map that I tried that was in the "SW Jedi Knight KotOR 2 Duels Multiplayer Map Pack". I'm pretty sure the map was "DxunSithTombsDuelMultiplayer". There may have been other maps in this mod that wouldn't have worked either but I never tried them in OpenJK after that one.

A simple thing like the saber victims for dismemberment doesn't require floating point numbers.

Must be a strange coincidence then.

I have one map called "helmsdeep" that has this problem with OpenJK. The map is most likely on this site somewhere, and there is also a version for JK2, though the one I'm using is for JKA... Obviously. So far this is the only map that I have this problem with, other than one map that I tried that was in the "SW Jedi Knight KotOR 2 Duels Multiplayer Map Pack". I'm pretty sure the map was "DxunSithTombsDuelMultiplayer". There may have been other maps in this mod that wouldn't have worked either but I never tried them in OpenJK after that one.

Must be a strange coincidence then.

You've obviously been stuck using way old builds.  Like we said, it was fixed quite a while ago and I just tested helmsdeep, loads fine.  As does DxunSithTombsDuelMultiplayer

You've obviously been stuck using way old builds.  Like we said, it was fixed quite a while ago and I just tested helmsdeep, loads fine.  As does DxunSithTombsDuelMultiplayer

Yeah that does seem right considering I have been compiling my builds from a repository point from way back in april 10th. And BTW I actually reported the wrong map from the KoTOR map pack. The map with error was actually DxunMandalorianOutpostMultiplayer, which I'm sure will work in the newer builds too as well as custom compiled builds from the current repository point.

Edit: Just tried the latest build, still have the same problem. Must be my shitty PC.

Unfortunately I have no other machines to try it on.

Edit: I misinformed about the KotOR map pack about which map threw the MAX PATCH PLANES error. It wasn't DxunSithTombsDuelMultiplayer either was it DxunMandalorianOutpostMultiplayer, it was actually PeragusFightWithHK50Multiplayer, and to be more specific about this error it was "Error: CM_FindPlane2: MAX_PATCH_PLANES (2048)". And there was another map named TelosCitadelStationMultiplayer that had some other error that I never had before nor do I know what the hell it is, but when I got it, it was "Error: CL_ParseSnapshot: Invalid size 38 for areamask". I wonder if anyone else who tries these maps have the same issues as I, or if not and it's just me. Note: I tried the latest windows build.

• 4 weeks later...

Any reason why OpenJK has been made not to compile on VS 2013 Express anymore? I googled one of the errors and came back with "VS 2015". If that's the case, why allow us to create project files for other compilers if they won't even compile the code?

I see. Looking around, vs2013 with the latest updates should have partial support for constexpr. I'll check tonight when I'm back from work.

If you're not using the community edition (not the express edition), then I highly recommend you use that since it has a few extra updates which I don't think the express edition gets.

It requires 2013 community edition or later, not express AFAIK.

And technically "any" are allowed, those are just provided batch files for convenience.  You could very well run the CMake GUI and attempt to make VS6 project files if you wanted, but that doesn't mean it would work.

The actual compilation guide:

OpenJK makes use of some standard C/C++ headers which aren't available by default in older versions of Visual Studio. Please make sure you're running the latest version of Visual Studio!

https://github.com/JACoders/OpenJK/wiki/Compilation-guide#windows-1