ALT Key not working in console

Dr. Donkey

Hey Guys,

I've already tried searchingbut couldn't find an existing thread about this exact problem. I'm mainly using openJk for multiplayer and for some reason my ALT key won't work in console. This means I can't use alt codes to make spaces with the /name command or color my name since i can't type a ^ . The key itself works fine for binding other commands to...

Any suggestions?

Hey Guys,

I've already tried searchingbut couldn't find an existing thread about this exact problem. I'm mainly using openJk for multiplayer and for some reason my ALT key won't work in console. This means I can't use alt codes to make spaces with the /name command or color my name since i can't type a ^ . The key itself works fine for binding other commands to...

Any suggestions?

That issue can be easily fixed. OpenJK automatically changes your common keyboard layout (QWERTZ) to the english layout (QWERTY). The Alt key won't work because the english layout is different

I don't know what operating system you are using, but try this.

- First, minimize the game by pressing Alt and Tab.

- Start the keyboard settings and change the layout/language from ENG to the language you're usually using.

- Go to the game again by either pressing Alt and Tab again or by clicking on the game's icon on the taskbar.

Smoo likes this
  • 2 weeks later...

Ah that makes sense... I tried switching keybaords using ALT and shift ingame but that didnt do anything. I'll try!

Also I need to make spaces because using the /name command and using space key for spaces It just takes the first word. If i was to name like /name Just A Dude it would rename to Just. So i used alt + 0160 to make a space.

There are no differences in OJK. It joins all the arguments regardless.

In original jasp and jamp it would only set the first argument if you did `/name Just a Person` but in OpenJK this works the same as `/set name Just a Person` this is because the former now looks at argument 1...n except in the cases of ; ending the command ofc.

Smoo likes this