PK3 loading problems?

Hello !

I have downloaded many char skins/hilt mods for SP, and so, I have seen many PK3s having problems to load for singleplayer only.

For example whenever my Darth Malgus hilt mod is installed with desann's, desann's one will not load.

But if I move desann's one by renaming it to the bottom of the base folder, the reverse thing will happen.

It also happens for packed mods, like Sith stalker coming with its own hilt, in SP the character appears, but no the hilt.

Another example is in multiplayer, in the character customization menu, all installed characters don't appear, as well as for singleplayer, but in the general profile character selection, they all appear. So what is the limit to character skins number for the customization menu?

And/or what is the maximum PK3s number is the game able to load?

Thanks in advance

First and foremost, use OpenJK. It raises several limits and fixes many issues.

You will run into other limits (NPC count, memory, etc) before running into the limit of PK3 files themselves.

As for the Desann vs Malgus hilt, it sounds like the Malgus hilt is actually replacing the Desann hilt internally.

Some mods lack SP support or aren't tested on both SP and MP.

Models/skins without icons will not appear in the character selection menu if they do not have icons.

If you're not running OpenJK or JA++ modcode (i.e. uix86.dll, cgamex86.dll from these mods) you will run into the maximum character limit.

I can't remember what this limit is, but it's probably 128. OpenJK and/or JA++ rewrote how these are loaded so as to not have a limit.

Cerez likes this

I have looked for OpenJK, but I don't have a clear list of what it changes to the game, sadly...What it exaclty is, etc :/

Well for Singleplayer only then, as they both appear in the custom menu in MP

Well I don't know if 128 is the limit as I have a kotor pack, a soldiers pack and an imperial officers pack as well as a few other skins, I don't think it reaches 128, but for example, when the kotor pack is installed, then a few models of the imp officers pack and soldiers pack will disappear, although it is two well different packs. So is the game loading a part from pack and a part from another after loading the whole kotor pack, or else, I don't know...

For lightsaber hilts, my bad. In fact I guess it was coming from the "MENU.str" coming with each of the hilts, so the game could only load one at a time.

For OpenJK, it's installed since yesterday, and it is really a good piece of game enhancement.

So yup, I experienced myself that it is not heavy at all, but fixes what needs to be fixed, thank you ! :)

Cerez likes this