Blender Script : Convert Quad to Triangles

Go to solution Solved by Cerez,

Hello. i have a large amount of model to convert into md3, but every single mesh is into quads polygons.

and for be properly processed by md3view and JKA, they need to be converted into tris.

I know is possible to do this so blender going into edit mode and hitting ctrl + t, 

but there is some script or addon that convert ALL quad mesh into tris mesh presented in entire scene, into object mode? something right.

A -> select all object.

-> plug in. -> all quad object are converted instantely to tris.

this can really boost up my job.

i use blender 2.64 -2.68 version and mrwonko plugin suite.

@@Cerez

@@Langerd

@@mrwonko

I know is possible to do this so blender going into edit mode and hitting ctrl + t, 

but there is some script or addon that convert ALL quad mesh into tris mesh presented in entire scene, into object mode? something right.

Do you mean a batch conversion script to convert all meshes in all Blender windows open to tris?

Or only all meshes in a single window/project?

If it's within a single project, all you have to do is select all the meshes you need to convert, and hit CTRL+T in edit mode, as you said.

Asgarath83 likes this

Hello. i have a large amount of model to convert into md3, but every single mesh is into quads polygons.

and for be properly processed by md3view and JKA, they need to be converted into tris.

A -> select all object.

-> plug in. -> all quad object are converted instantely to tris.

this can really boost up my job.

i use blender 2.64 -2.68 version and mrwonko plugin suite.

@@Cerez

@@Langerd

@@mrwonko

Sry :( i dont know how to use scripts..

Asgarath83 likes this

Do you mean a batch conversion script to convert all meshes in all Blender windows open to tris?

Or only all meshes in a single window/project?

If it's within a single project, all you have to do is select all the meshes you need to convert, and hit CTRL+T in edit mode, as you said.

Yes, it's a single windows project with a lot of meshes of a large amount of buildings (towers, house, doors, castles, battlements etc)

not the bulding itself... they are HD poly and i get already exported. in that case, i am working to they manifolds colliders. these meshes have quad faces. i need to convert all of it by quad to tris, placing a md3shader with a clipping shader like the physics clip of system of gtkradiant (but this step is not  aproblem for me i make some custom invisibile physics clips with custom q3map_materials for footsteeps on the objects. for example: the collider "snow" will generate snow puff efx and snow steps when player run on it. )

my problem is simply that. ^^

convert all manifold quad mesh into tris mesh quickly. make one mesh by one and every time go into edit mode is loong and tedious.

i had google for problem but i not found nothing of useful on blender forums.

now i have tryed to select all meshes with A in the scene, i am on edit mode and i click control+t ... but is converted to triangle only the active object. :\

Not works with others, even if they're selected.

@@Langerd thanks however for the answer :)

I am doing that worls for making colliders md3 for boost up the map work and avoid to make manually the clipper of each object when i will use as misc_model and misc_model_static.  so i can place an misc_model object into the map, not solid, and copy paste itself, and convert it to his own misc_model collider md3 model, with solid spawnflags. the colliders md3 have really a low amount of vertex and edges compared to the trues model that they will clips.

i have already tried that with a castle map on my first terrain map, and this works very fine.  :)

• Solution

@@Asgarath83, I've found something that may be of use: http://blender.stackexchange.com/questions/23194/edit-multiple-meshes-at-once

And from the official Blender docs:

In Edit mode, only one mesh can be edited at the time. However, several objects can be joined into a single mesh (Ctrl-J in Object mode) and then separated again (P in Edit mode). If multiple objects are selected before entering Edit mode, all the selected objects remain highlighted in orange indicating that they are part of the active selection set.

So it is either you join the objects, do the conversion, then separate them, or you can try the MultiEdit plugin, and see what magic it can do.

Asgarath83 likes this

@@Cerez I cannot use the  control + j and edit mode  because all manifold get the same material so separate is possible only by loose parts. in that case, i obtain so many suboject that i not understand more nothing. (rejoin the parts after triangled should be difficult in that way)

otherwise i have installed multiedit and also if the plug in give me a lot of bug, (i think i need again to understand how it works exactly. )

seems to be fine. i have selected all things into edit mode and triangulated. i get some trouble to exit by multiedit modality. for the rest it's okay.

thanks! ^_^

Cerez likes this