Any way I can make the EP7 Stormtrooper Replace all Stormtroopers?

Go to solution Solved by Barricade24,

The First Order Stormtrooper mod I want to use is this one: http://jkhub.org/files/file/2387-dt-stormtrooper-ep7/

DT85's mod. 

Any help doing this would be appreciated! :)

Also, would dismemberment work on these modded Stormtroopers? :/

One more thing.... any way to make DT85's EP7 Luke replace the one in the game? Obviously I'm going for a makeshift EP7 game haha.

Appreciate it in advance, mates!

The First Order Stormtrooper mod I want to use is this one: http://jkhub.org/files/file/2387-dt-stormtrooper-ep7/

DT85's mod. 

Any help doing this would be appreciated! :)

Also, would dismemberment work on these modded Stormtroopers? :/

One more thing.... any way to make DT85's EP7 Luke replace the one in the game? Obviously I'm going for a makeshift EP7 game haha.

Appreciate it in advance, mates!

Making the Episode 7 Stormtrooper replace the base one is actually pretty simple. The most simple way is to make an npc file that you can use to replace the stormtroopers you want.

I believe dismemberment should also work without any problem on these troopers.

With regards to Luke, there is already a file included with the base Luke download that you can put on to replace Luke.

Darth Sion and Smoo like this

@@GMRobinHood

It always pays off to do a bit of research before asking questions :P how about you check the tutorials section on here first. Follow the guide up to modifying the .skin files of a skin. Basically you just need to change the file's path to match the default stormtrooper, or Luke's folder that's inside the assets1.pk3 of your base folder (you will need to figure out how to open PK3 files and .SKIN files before being able to do any of this yourself but the tutorial covers that), and then rename DT's folder and .skin files to match that folder. The tutorial should explain enough for you to be able to do it yourself.

Dismemberment is a model feature, so changing the file paths won't disable it from working. If a model has model parts named to what the dismemberment system is looking for (r_leg, l_arm, head, etc) which almost every model in JKA uses, then dismemberment will function fine. It can look a bit funky however depending on WHERE the model has been separated into these parts, and if the creators included a thing called "caps", which is what you will see where the limb was cut off with the dismemberment, without them you will just see an empty hole.

Are you requesting that someone create this for you, or are you asking for help in creating the mod yourself?

If someone could do this for me I would be happy indeed ;)

However, someone has told me that this is relatively easy, and having some experience with mods in Kotor, I thought I could give it a go. :)

If someone could do this for me I would be happy indeed ;)

However, someone has told me that this is relatively easy, and having some experience with mods in Kotor, I thought I could give it a go. :)

You're gonna want to read this then:

[sharedmedia=tutorials:tutorials:146]

You'll just need to copy the stormtrooper.npc file from the assets, edit the model line to the EP7 trooper model name, save and put in the EP7 trooper pk3.

Making the Episode 7 Stormtrooper replace the base one is actually pretty simple. The most simple way is to make an npc file that you can use to replace the stormtroopers you want.

I believe dismemberment should also work without any problem on these troopers.

With regards to Luke, there is already a file included with the base Luke download that you can put on to replace Luke.

Ah, thank you haha! :)

@@GMRobinHood

It always pays off to do a bit of research before asking questions :P how about you check the tutorials section on here first. Follow the guide up to modifying the .skin files of a skin. Basically you just need to change the file's path to match the default stormtrooper, or Luke's folder that's inside the assets1.pk3 of your base folder (you will need to figure out how to open PK3 files and .SKIN files before being able to do any of this yourself but the tutorial covers that), and then rename DT's folder and .skin files to match that folder. The tutorial should explain enough for you to be able to do it yourself.

Dismemberment is a model feature, so changing the file paths won't disable it from working. If a model has model parts named to what the dismemberment system is looking for (r_leg, l_arm, head, etc) which almost every model in JKA uses, then dismemberment will function fine. It can look a bit funky however depending on WHERE the model has been separated into these parts, and if the creators included a thing called "caps", which is what you will see where the limb was cut off with the dismemberment, without them you will just see an empty hole.

You'll just need to copy the stormtrooper.npc file from the assets, edit the model line to the EP7 trooper model name, save and put in the EP7 trooper pk3.

Thank you, both of you! Will be trying these out, I'll let you know if i have anything I need help with! :)

Ruxith likes this

@@GMRobinHood

I read those.... and still don't realy understand what I am to do. I have the programs I need, and have exported the stormtrooper file located in assets1.pk3 to a seperate folder I created. 

Perhaps either of you could give me step by step instuctions as to what to do?

I'm very sorry, I've injured my knee and am on a high dose painkillers, so my brain probably isn't working as well as it usually does haha. 

Appreciate it very much, and again my apologies. 

Pakscape works like winrar, to export files from inside the .PK3 files, and to create new ones. You need to rename the folder DT's skin uses to match the one inside "assets1.pk3" which should just be "stormtrooper". You then need to edit the .skin files (with notepad) from DT's file to match the new folder name, and then save it as a new PK3 file.

Because it uses a "shader" you will also need to open the .SHADER file within the "shaders" folder and modify the paths to match the newly named folder.

Don't blame it on the painkillers bro, dovahkiin took an arrow to the knee and what did he do? He slayed a couple dragons! (okay maybe not entirely true but the joke still stands xD)

• Solution

Perhaps either of you could give me step by step instuctions as to what to do?

I'm very sorry, I've injured my knee and am on a high dose painkillers, so my brain probably isn't working as well as it usually does haha. 

Appreciate it very much, and again my apologies. 

Sure.

Now you can either use this with an NPC tool or Wordpad. I often use the NPC Tool but the process is more or less the same with word pad.

So once you have extracted the stormtrooper npc, from the assets pk3, open it in word pad.

Once you have done that locate the text section called "Playermodel".

Where the tag says "stormtrooper" change that to the name of the EP7 Stormtrooper, which in this case would be "DT_Stormtrooper_EP7".

After you have saved your changes, you can either put the npc in a pk3, which is what I often do, or you should be able to just place in the base folder, provided you have made an ext_data/npcs directory.

You should be good to go.

Sure.

Now you can either use this with an NPC tool or Wordpad. I often use the NPC Tool but the process is more or less the same with word pad.

So once you have extracted the stormtrooper npc, from the assets pk3, open it in word pad.

Where the tag says "stormtrooper" change that to the name of the EP7 Stormtrooper, which in this case would be "DT_Stormtrooper_EP7".

After you have saved your changes, you can either put the npc in a pk3, which is what I often do, or you should be able to just place in the base folder, provided you have made an ext_data/npcs directory.

I opened assets1.pk3 but can't find the stormtrooper.npc that I need to extract(step 1... I previously extracted the stormtrooper file in its entirety), it doesnt seem to be in the models/players/stormtrooper file, or am I looking for the wrong file?

@@Ruxith that would replace the default stormtrooper model though, which isn't really ideal for what he wants. That would mean that when they play MP, stormtrooper would be replaced with the EP7 one.

NPC files are the way to go in this case.

Barricade explained it well. There are multiple stormtrooper NPC files as well, so make sure to change those too.

I opened assets1.pk3 but can't find the stormtrooper.npc that I need to extract(step 1... I previously extracted the stormtrooper file in its entirety), it doesnt seem to be in the models/players/stormtrooper file, or am I looking for the wrong file?

It's in ext_data/npcs

I assumed that's what he wanted though? Okay

I wanted to replace all SP stormtroopers with the TFA stormtrooper from the mod :)

@@Ruxith that would replace the default stormtrooper model though, which isn't really ideal for what he wants. That would mean that when they play MP, stormtrooper would be replaced with the EP7 one.

NPC files are the way to go in this case.

Barricade explained it well. There are multiple stormtrooper NPC files as well, so make sure to change those too.

It's in ext_data/npcs

Aye, thanks!

Sure.

Almost done, I found two entries with "playermodel" and changed both from "stormtrooper" to "DT_Stormtrooper_EP7" as you instructed. 

"After you have saved your changes, you can either put the npc in a pk3, which is what I often do, or you should be able to just place in the base folder, provided you have made an ext_data/npcs directory."

So I saved the changes I made to the npc, but can you please explain how I put it in a .pk3? Do I just attempt to change the .npc to a .pk3 and then stick it in the base folder? Or do i add it to zzzz_DT_Stormie_EP7.pk3 (The mod pk3 file)?

If I add it to zzzz_DT_Stormie_EP7, which sub folder?

Sorry again mates, very new to this. You guys can probably do this whilst sleep walking on painkillers :/

I wanted to replace all SP stormtroopers with the TFA stormtrooper from the mod :)

Aye, thanks!

Almost done, I found two entries with "playermodel" and changed both from "stormtrooper" to "DT_Stormtrooper_EP7" as you instructed. 

"After you have saved your changes, you can either put the npc in a pk3, which is what I often do, or you should be able to just place in the base folder, provided you have made an ext_data/npcs directory."

So I saved the changes I made to the npc, but can you please explain how I put it in a .pk3? Do I just attempt to change the .npc to a .pk3 and then stick it in the base folder? Or do i add it to zzzz_DT_Stormie_EP7.pk3 (The mod pk3 file)?

If I add it to zzzz_DT_Stormie_EP7, which sub folder?

Sorry again mates, very new to this. You guys can probably do this whilst sleep walking on painkillers :/

PK3 files are just compressed folder directories. So create a new folder called ex_data, then create a new folder inside that called npcs. Then put the new stormtrooper.npc in that folder. If you're using Packscape, make a new file in there and drag over your new folder. Save as EP7Replacement.pk3 or something like that. Then put in the base folder.

Definitely read up on this:

The Basics of NPC Files

And this:

Installing, editing and managing PK3's

Those explain the basics of pk3 files and NPC files.

I

PK3 files are just compressed folder directories. So create a new folder called ex_data, then create a new folder inside that called npcs. Then put the new stormtrooper.npc in that folder. If you're using Packscape, make a new file in there and drag over your new folder. Save as EP7Replacement.pk3 or something like that. Then put in the base folder.

Definitely read up on this:

The Basics of NPC Files

And this:

Installing, editing and managing PK3's

Those explain the basics of pk3 files and NPC files.

I did exactly as you said..... and it didn't work. :"(

Ah well, I'm sure I messed up somewhere. :/

Thanks to everyone here haha, I learned a lot, if that counts for anything!

I'll just wait until either  DT85 adds a replacement update to his mod or someone else does this. At least I got TFA Luke in SP though! ;)

Thank you, everyone, for taking the time to help me :)

I

I did exactly as you said..... and it didn't work. :"(

Ah well, I'm sure I messed up somewhere. :/

Thanks to everyone here haha, I learned a lot, if that counts for anything!

I'll just wait until either  DT85 adds a replacement update to his mod or someone else does this. At least I got TFA Luke in SP though! ;)

Thank you, everyone, for taking the time to help me :)

Can you upload your pk3 so we can take a look and help you out further? I'm sure it's something simple. :)

• 8 years later...

It sounds like GMRobinHood received a working version of his TFA First Order troopers replacements.

Is it possible to post it here, so that others could also apply it to their single-player games?