Force Bonds That Act As A Secret Friends List And The Benefits That Come With It

Imagine with me, if you will, the concept of playing JKGalaxies with your friends, and without any conscious effort on your part, you naturally establish a Force bond with one of them.

You were just playing the game, and without knowing exactly how it happens, suddenly you start seeing special messages cycling among all the rest of the status information (that constantly flowing data that keeps track of who kills who, who has just logged in or out, etc.,) that have a strange color making them stand out. It may not register at first, but your eyes are drawn to these strange new relatively unassuming texts that appear to you like subtle whispers you wouldn't pay attention to, unless you were focused on reading them in the same way a Jedi might experience listening to the Force. You begin to catch them as they appear, and then it clicks what's happening.

"You sense a familiar presence." =

• Someone you have played with more than once in the past has just entered the same server as you. Even if their name and character looks different, the message still displays because the Force isn't just for combat, it also allow a Jedi to sense and recognize the Force that flows through others.

"You sense a dark presence." =

• Someone stronger in the dark side than you are in the light side has entered the same server as you.
  • Your connection to the Force becomes clouded, meaning the maximum strength of all your Force powers and abilities weaken slightly.
  • Penalties to your maximum Force strength stack in conjunction with the number of dark side players more powerful in the Force than you while in the same server.

"You sense a peaceful presence." =

• Someone with a greater connection to the light side than you has entered the same server as you.
  • One Force power penalty from one dark side presence is negated.
  • The number of players stronger in the light side than you while in the same server as them negates just as many dark side penalties.
  • If the number of players stronger than you in the light side of the Force exceeds the number of players stronger than you in the dark side while in the same server, all penalties are negated, unless or until the former number drops below the latter.

"A Force bond has been established." =

• All the criteria for establishing a Force bond has been met. (The criteria being: You have been in more than two separate servers at the same time as them in the span of 24 hours; you have dueled with them no less than ten times; you share the same alignment in the Force as them.)
  • That player is added to an invisible friends list.
  • If you are both online, you can send and receive private messages with them (even if you are in different servers) by utilizing the team chat key.
  • When you're both in the same server, both players receive a small boost to the maximum strength of all Force powers and abilities. 

How would a Force bond being established work? I think it shouldn't be too difficult to discover this feature, but not apparent enough that players actively know what specific criteria needs to be met to unlock it. It should be a fun surprise that lends an air of mysteriousness to the Force players will appreciate. If anything, it would be fun if the description of JKGalaxies included hints that point them in the right direction. Maybe something like:

"The Force has awakened all across the galaxies and now it's calling to you! Choose your destiny wisely, Padawan. Will you bravely trust in the Jedi code and become a guardian of peace and justice, or will the lure of the dark side be too tempting to resist? Train yourself in the ways of the Force with other Force sensitives, and then join your fellow Knights in this epic conflict to restore peace and order wherever you go. But does that sound like too much work? Why adhere to that weak misguided Jedi religion when the Force is yours to command at will? Fall to the dark side and you will have unlimited power, and with it, you can rule the galaxies!"

Imagine teaming up with players you have bonded with in competitive match ups against rival clans, knowing that your battle strength is greatly enhanced when compared to joining a match with players you have not yet bonded with. This is just a cool thought I had and hope maybe someone finds it inspired enough to consider it.

eezstreet, Smoo, Ramikad and 1 other like this

I think there is some discussion needed still as to how one actually becomes a Jedi. We have had a few ideas but nothing concrete yet. Some ideas include: having to do several playthroughs before the path of a Jedi is unlocked, having it be integrated as an option that can be chosen (albeit very hard to get there), or having it be a freak random thing that not everyone can be able to do.

However...

Your idea is very interesting and has given me a few new avenues in terms of story. How does Obi Wan come to acquire Anakin's old lightsaber? It is never shown in the prequel trilogy. This is something which can lead us to Tatooine, or perhaps somewhere else.

I like the idea of meeting another player and having the game 'remember' that, so to speak. But I think the idea of a force bind as you've described it is a bit clunky. I like there being chat messages, ones like "An old foe approaches..." for saberists that you've combated with. Maybe tie it into your character's Sense skill: if you are experienced at Sensing stuff, you can also be able to detect opposing force figures.

Smoo and Ramikad like this

I like the idea though, this is similar to and works well with something I came up with a year or two ago - that have to do with hearing rumors.  When it comes to discovering the force, as eezstreet mentioned we wanted to have some 'quest-like' requirements, but having this as one of those hidden quest requirements works I think.  At least, I like the idea that as you become closer and closer to realizing you are force sensitive and need training in the ways of the force, messages like this start showing up and you, like Rey, find yourself using the force unintentionally to do things like recognizing other people's presences.  Nice idea!

Your idea is very interesting and has given me a few new avenues in terms of story. How does Obi Wan come to acquire Anakin's old lightsaber? It is never shown in the prequel trilogy.

*ahem*

Ramikad and Smoo like this

JKG Developer

Nice ideas, I agree. I had similar ideas about Force Sense, though perhaps the "warning" or message could be more subtle, like the screen slightly flashing (very subtly) with the corresponding color (Blue for Light Side Force Users, and Red for Dark Side). A higher Force Sense level could increase the sensing range and "clearness" (how much more or less powerful than you is the player or character you're sensing), and the screen flashing would increase or decrease based on the distance and direction.

Smoo likes this

" Your idea is very interesting and has given me a few new avenues in terms of story. How does Obi Wan come to acquire Anakin's old lightsaber? It is never shown in the prequel trilogy."

He picks it up when he leaves him to die after slicing off his limbs on Mustafar

Stoiss likes this