Importing a Compiled Map into GTKRadiant

Go to solution Solved by Dusty,

I'm not sure if this question has been asked before, but is it possible to somehow import a BSP into GTKRadiant the way we import GLMs into Blender?

For SP scripting work, it would be extremely handy to be able to add camera points and NPCs to an already released map for which we no longer have the source...

Yes, but at a cost. You can't import a compiled .bsp into Radiant directly, so you need to decompile it first, turning it into a .map again. Aside from being not so legit (but that's only partially a problem), you'll lose every light entity the mapper originally put, except for light shaders, and the textures that are not on patches will not be fit as they were in the original map.

So yeah, power comes at a cost.

Cerez likes this
  • Solution

I'm not sure if this question has been asked before, but is it possible to somehow import a BSP into GTKRadiant the way we import GLMs into Blender?

For SP scripting work, it would be extremely handy to be able to add camera points and NPCs to an already released map for which we no longer have the source...

I believe this is what ent-modding is for. You can mod these things by text-editing a .bsp file without having to decompile and ruin the map. Still then you can't use GTK-Radiant. Maybe you could decompile the map, do your entity mods, re-compile, then copy the text for your added entities to the old bsp file, if you want to use GTK-Radiant to create the entities rather than doing it via text-editing.

Cerez likes this

Yes, you need to make a batch process into your gtk radiant folder, put into radiant the bsp map and put this parameter on batch process:

q3map2 -game ja -convert -format map yourmap.bsp

you get a map file with yourmap_converted name.

but as told ramikad... if is for personal use of for learn how mapping is okay. the edited map cannot be shared on jkhub because should be a stoling of another mapper works, withouts the permission of the original author.

and you need to pay a big price.

- the map lost all light entities stored. >.< so you need to re-light manually is a LONG work.

- all texture lost their alignment you need to fill and realign all texture with surface ispector of map.

- a certain number of brush be broken and into the game you see it invisible, you cannot see the broken brushes into radiant and you can fix this only if you rebuild the brush or if you make this brushes detailed.

so is not much recomandet.

is possible build a map into blender and export it as a map file into radiant... but it loose every texture and need to be retextured.

is possible build a map into blender and split the building into big MD3 models and export as md3. but you need to follow a procedure for tell to engine every texture shader info of every brushes.

in every case, is a hellish work. >.<

is not possible to edit the BSP file directly. :\

I believe this is what ent-modding is for. You can mod these things by text-editing a .bsp file without having to decompile and ruin the map. Still then you can't use GTK-Radiant. Maybe you could decompile the map, do your entity mods, re-compile, then copy the text for your added entities to the old bsp file, if you want to use GTK-Radiant to create the entities rather than doing it via text-editing.

this is a very good suggest :) should be work. ^_^ but i not know if works also for triggers and doors and scriptable objects. :( never done.

Cerez likes this