SP game crashes when fighting other Force users

maree

Hello, I'm new to this forum so I don't know where to post this, exactly.
I'm playing Jedi Academy on an Arch Linux 32-bit ultrabook, through Steam and Wine, so I expected a couple bumps along the road.

HOWEVER I was experiencing constant crashing when I faced enemy Sith - arguably the best experience in JA  :D. The crashes were not prohibitive - they happened rarely during the fights, which meant I could save scum through the duels. It also crashed more often against the green cultists. However, running the openjk_sp.i386 from the terminal, I noticed it always crashed with a floating point exception. So I run the game with valgrind, activated god mode, and stood still facing a orange and a green cultist, until the game crashes and valgrind outputs to me:

==9844== Process terminating with default action of signal 8 (SIGFPE): dumping core
==9844==  Integer divide by zero at address 0x6B177B0A
==9844==    at 0x1394928D: ForceThrow(gentity_s*, int, int) (in /home/riva/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/Jedi Academy/GameData/OpenJK/jagamei386.so)
==9844==    by 0x1381D9EC: Jedi_CombatDistance(int) (in /home/riva/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/Jedi Academy/GameData/OpenJK/jagamei386.so)
==9844==    by 0x13824C8A: Jedi_Combat() (in /home/riva/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/Jedi Academy/GameData/OpenJK/jagamei386.so)
==9844==    by 0x1382B0C7: NPC_BSJedi_Default() (in /home/riva/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/Jedi Academy/GameData/OpenJK/jagamei386.so)
==9844==    by 0x138ECE72: NPC_BehaviorSet_Jedi(int) (in /home/riva/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/Jedi Academy/GameData/OpenJK/jagamei386.so)
==9844==    by 0x138EE99A: NPC_ExecuteBState(gentity_s*) (in /home/riva/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/Jedi Academy/GameData/OpenJK/jagamei386.so)
==9844==    by 0x138EF14E: NPC_Think(gentity_s*) (in /home/riva/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/Jedi Academy/GameData/OpenJK/jagamei386.so)
==9844==    by 0x13882D68: GEntity_ThinkFunc(gentity_s*) (in /home/riva/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/Jedi Academy/GameData/OpenJK/jagamei386.so)
==9844==    by 0x1388EDC8: G_RunFrame(int) (in /home/riva/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/Jedi Academy/GameData/OpenJK/jagamei386.so)
==9844==    by 0x80ACB96: SV_Frame(int, float) (in /home/riva/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/Jedi Academy/GameData/openjk_sp.i386)
==9844==    by 0x80878B9: Com_Frame() (in /home/riva/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/Jedi Academy/GameData/openjk_sp.i386)
==9844==    by 0x804CA8A: main (in /home/riva/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/Jedi Academy/GameData/openjk_sp.i386)

So the game has a division-by-zero on the Force Throw method that's crashing for me. I would like to notify the developers, and also to know if anyone else had this problem and solved it. Thanks!
Cerez likes this

Same thing happening here.

I reverted to an earlier build and now the only saves working are back at the beginning. ;/

It's every time I fight a force user and I think me or him is taking damage, or clashing.

On the train level I met the first red saber opponent who fell down low and as soon as we clashed, game crash.

Then I got back to that point and fought for a very short amount of time and then went to go in to fight again, crash. I think it could be if there's a low angle strike from an opponent or damage being given/taken.

Also the first game the first sith you meet after the stormtroopers, the game crashed when we crossed sabers and had to play past on a different client.

Hope this helps, this game is amazing.

edit: DIDNT HAVE JA+ properly installed I don't think. I reloaded the mod with a build with way more files than a JA++ downlaod I found, extracted. Now the train fight scene worked fine, game looks amazing.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to confirm this issue. It's also happening to me on a Win 8.1 system with the openjk-2015-07-27-3ab62479-windows build.

Prominent crash occasions where these (among others) occur:

1) End of the Hoth level during the fight with Alora - game would crash to desktop any time I tried to engage her in direct lightsaber combat. In the end, I only managed to end the fight by using lightsaber throw all the time. Another problem after that was that the post-Hoth cutscene didn't trigger. Jaden, Luke and Kyle were just standing there and not saying or doing anything. xD At least I was able to skip that and go to the lightsaber fighting screen afterwards.

2) End of Ep.2 Level 4 (Capture crime lord/Coruscant) had a similar scene. Once you enter the building of the crime lord, there are two dark Jedi at the entrance. When fighting the one only using the Force, game crashed every single time. Only way to continue was to simply ignore those guys and run straight to the lift.

Any idea when this can be fixed? Fights against lightsaber guys are the highlight of this game, as you know, and if that doesn't work properly, it sucks quite hard. :P

I think I can have a look at some point this week :) Can you upload a save file starting at a point before the crash would happen? It just saves me having to play through everything and means I can be sure I'm setup the same way as you to make a crash happen!

Excellent! So here you go, I created two savegames based on my autosaves.

OpenJK savegames (75 KB, TinyUpload)

Mirror

jedi_00.sav

You jump right into the Alora fight, directly after the cutscene. Just keep bashing her with the lightsaber and you should see a crash to desktop. Try getting to the Yavin cutscene afterwards anyway because it can be it doesn't work, either (as described above).

jedi_01.sav

In front of the entrance to Lannik Racto's palace. You basically enter the door in front of you, get attacked by the Force disciple (you don't even have to do anything) and it's the same story.

To be on the safe side, I have also included my config file, but I don't believe it matters. Thanks a lot in advance for taking care of this! OpenJK rocks!

*EDIT #1, Aug 4*
Second half of Vjun mission is more or less unplayable due to this issue. As you all know, there are tons of Sith to fight there, and you can never tell which of them will crash your game if you decide to engage them. Many times I could only continue by running past all enemies, but it would end with the final fight against Rosh at the latest. His guardians cause guaranteed crashes if you attack them, regardless whether you use lightsaber throw, direct lightsaber attacks or whatever. Therefore, fixing this is really urgent since it's pretty close to a showstopper.

*EDIT #2, Aug 4*

It seems the Yavin cutscene after the Vjun fight with Rosh (btw, was only able to advance by killing the two guardians with conventional weapons - lightsaber attacks would lead to crashes) shows the same problem as the one after Hoth. Luke, Kyle and Jaden do nothing. No clue what's going on here.

Same thing happening here.

I reverted to an earlier build and now the only saves working are back at the beginning. ;/

It's every time I fight a force user and I think me or him is taking damage, or clashing.

On the train level I met the first red saber opponent who fell down low and as soon as we clashed, game crash.

Then I got back to that point and fought for a very short amount of time and then went to go in to fight again, crash. I think it could be if there's a low angle strike from an opponent or damage being given/taken.

Also the first game the first sith you meet after the stormtroopers, the game crashed when we crossed sabers and had to play past on a different client.

Hope this helps, this game is amazing.

edit: DIDNT HAVE JA+ properly installed I don't think. I reloaded the mod with a build with way more files than a JA++ downlaod I found, extracted. Now the train fight scene worked fine, game looks amazing.

JA++ is an MP mod. The crash alluded to in the OP is from the singleplayer. The problems shouldn't be related.

Awesome! So it's gonna be in the next build? I am in the last level now and it crashes already in the beginning. My allies engage the Sith and then it's back to desktop, I have no control over it at all. xD

Anyway, will check as soon as the fixed build is available and provide feedback ASAP. Thanks in advance for this already!

PS: I hope the fix will also work with existing savegames (made with the broken version). Or otherwise I will have to play everything from the beginning again...