Recommendations for Good Gaming Peripherals

Hello! So I'm just about to start (with my brother) building our first gaming PC! It's not a gratuitous build, but it's quite a lot better than the laptops we're both currently using. My contribution to the PC (my brother bought all the parts for the PC itself) will come in the form of the peripherals. My question is: what are some good monitors, keyboards, and mice that we could use? My budget for the keyboard & monitor together has to be less than $340, also adding in the cost of a CD drive (probably only about $20 for that though). The mouse I can ask for as a birthday gift, so price is a little less important there, but I'd still like to keep it low. We're not looking for anything insane, just some peripherals that are a better than the average. Thanks!

I use a standard 101 keys microsoft keyboard from 2002, but you should probably pick the cheapest mechanical keyboard around. I heard the 6gv2 is good, but it's a bit on the expensive side (70-80€). The cheapest I can find is some noname Cherry G-80 for 50€. As for the mouse, for the longest time I used a Logitech B110 that I got for 5€ and it was perfectly fine for the odd 8 years that I had it - was my big leap into optical mice around 2005, since before that I played JKA competitively with a ball mouse. Now switched to the Steelseries Kinzu (v2) that I got for 20€ and it's just as nice. Don't buy into the DPI craze, it's almost entirely a waste of money.

If you only spend 70€ on the mouse and keyboard, you'll have more money available for the monitor. But even with 200€ left you'll still have a difficult time getting a good one though, since I'd greatly recommend getting a 144mhz one for them mad fps (cheapest seems to be the asus vg24qe for 270€). There is no need for IPS or 4k if you are not serious about gaming and have a strict budget. However, if your new PC is mid-tier and won't get to 144fps for most newer games and you're not into playing older ones, then getting a 144mhz monitor makes no sense. You can easily find budget 24" (IPS) monitors for 140€.

Flynn likes this

I like to spend some money on mouses. Currently I'm using the Roccat Kone Pure which I really like. It got 8200 dpi...I'm using it with 800 dpi so whatever but the handling is really nice and it's looking cool. Most important for my choice was actually the position of the thumb buttons since I'm using them a lot in games like Jedi Academy, Chivalry, Quake or Counter Strike.

Flynn likes this

I just went back to Logitech G500 after trying out WMO and Steelseries Kinzu v2 Pro. Never been happier with a mouse, it's the only one that feels responsive/doesn't skip, precise af, no negative accel, 1000hz polling through its own driver)

For (mechanical) keyboards, I alternate between Tesoro Tizona and CoolerMaster Storm QF, I recommend both depending on the amount of action you want.

For monitors, I absolutely can't recommend anything other than 120hz/144hz - current using BenQ XL2411t, but the colour reproduction definitely off. I'm looking to replace it.

Mice are cheap. Keyboards get pricier because you'll want mechanical. Monitors you're going to want to splash out, it's worth getting that refresh rate.

Ping has it right.

Flynn likes this

Thanks for the input! One question: for mice do I want wireless or wired? I've been in a few clutch (terrifying) situations in CS:GO where the batteries in my wireless mouse have died, so I kind of want to avoid that, but I'm not sure if there's any significant performance/price difference between the two types.

I'm quite happy with the Microsoft Sidewinder X4 keyboard, I feel it's good for programming and gaming. Pressing the keys is not like a mechanical "click" or the soft "squidge" of other keyboards, it's more like a soft "clunk". You have the positive tactile feedback of knowing exactly when the keys are down, but without the frills/noise/price of a mechanical keyboard. Other reasons I got it was: full-length (with number pad), programmable keys, proper F1-F12 keys (not replaced with buttons), lit keys, affordable price.

Uuuuuunfortunately, it's been discontinued now so you'd need to find one on eBay. NewEgg and Amazon have it, but their prices have jumped to exorbitant levels because of the rarity.