Best Domain Registrar???

Ahhh, my head hurts! I've Been researching which domain registrar to use for a "small" (meaning only me) business website-- not necessarily the web-hoster.

I was looking at namesilo as the registrar... but they do not offer email services-- only email forwarding. From my research it seems I should avoid GoDaddy.

What I like about NameSilo is that they include everything for free ( well it's included their price-- just no gimmicks) whereas other registrars charge money for every other little service (privacy, etc).

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I suggest Namecheap! Their prices are quite good and I've never had problems with them. Their control panel interface hasn't caught up with the modernity of the rest of their site, but they assure me it's coming.

You can use Namecheap for the actual DNS hosting for your domain too (as opposed to just being a registrar). Or you could have Namecheap be the registrar while having your DNS hosted somewhere like CloudFlare.

EDIT: Namecheap's DNS servers come at no extra cost after domain registration. You have full control over your DNS records. Their DNS service also provide free e-mail forwarding and URL forwarding if you need it. Domain registration comes with 1 year free WhoisGuard too (if you want to hide your registration details from the public databases), but the price is only around $2.88/year afterwards.

Xycaleth, Link and Smoo like this

@@Didz -- as I understand it... email forwarding only sends emails to michael@mydomain.com to an already existing email for me (i.e., archangel35757@yahoo.com, etc.)... I want to have any potential clients see response emails come from "michael@mydomain.com" and not yahoo, gmail, etc.

namecheap does offer email services:  https://www.namecheap.com/hosting/email.aspx  but that seems expensive for their "business" option... yes/no?

Any suggestions on registrars that offer free (or cheap) email account using my domain name?  Or can this be done by the webhost company? (I thought it had to be by the registrar-- any clarifications would be greatly appreciated!)

Namecheap offers private email as you've found. If you only need one address, the Private option is fine.

I don't have e-mail hosting for my own domains but the internet seems to point to Zoho as a good free choice for it. Seems like it's free for 10 users. They have a guide for setting it up for your domain.

@@Didz, @@Raz0r -- So it looks like I could go with namesilo for the registrar and use iPage (Zoho is mail service only, correct?) as my webhost and email service (...as I understand it-- I'd just have to setup up MX records with the registrar so that all mail is handled by iPage email services.  So I could then send/receive emails as: me@mydomain.com).

Is this right?

What does this mean:  https://www.namesilo.com/Support/DNS-Manager

You can only utilize our DNS services when using our nameservers for your domain. You will be notified if you are not using our nameservers when you access the Manage DNS page.

Yeah it's right. That message just means that you need to set-up iPage's nameservers in your namesilo account so iPage's DNS servers (for your website and e-mail) will be associated with the domain.

I second @@Didz! I use Namecheap for my own domain name and haven't had any problems.

EDIT: Wrote my message 2 hours ago and only just submitted so I didn't see the extra messages. I also use zoho for my email and again, no problems :D

I've compared namesilo, namecheap, and others... namesilo seems like they bundle all the services in their base price (whereas other registrars charge additional annual fees).

It's generally good to split up your services between companies so you don't have a single point-of-failure that holds together your entire online presence. Basically, resilience to the company's services going offline, or your account being compromised.

EDIT: Just make a list on paper of possible combinations you can go with, what each one offers and their prices.

Circa likes this

leaning toward iPage (for building-block website hosting & email service:  special deal of $1.99/month for up to 3 year term-- renews at about 8.99/mo to 10.99/mo depending on renewal term).  If I register domain with namesilo and use iPage for email then I don't get the email forwarding, domain parking, or DNS services from namesilo-- but would get the rest of their services...

Thoughts on namecheap (or other) versus namesilo?

So I registered my domains with namesilo... and I plan to go with arvixe for webhosting & email services (they also give you one free domain registration-- free for life on renewals as long as they continue to host your site)... so I will register the .us domain with arvixe (FREE-- yay!) and have it redirect to the .com they will host (I confirmed they will do this by live chat).

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and discussions. :winkthumb:

...Now, back to the Jan Ors project!!!

Raz0r likes this

@@Raz0r, @@Didz and others... So I registered the .com and .net  with namesilo and just registered the .us (free for as long as they host my website) with arvixe.  But even though it let me check the registration as "private" -- I just found out that it does not register .us (or any country code) as private... WTF?  That seems to defeat the privacy when you register the .com and .net, no?

Their tech support said I can cancel the whole transaction and get a "do-over" and register another domain (like .biz)...

What should I do?  Is it that big of a problem getting my personal info spammed?

A bit, yeah. If you don't register as private you'll get emails and physical mail sent to you constantly.

So I guess people don't register the .us domain then???

EDIT>  Just did a google search... I found this:

WHOIS Privacy for .US domains is prohibited by the US Department of Commerce -- what a bunch of FuckTards!!

So I guess people don't register the .us domain then???

Not sure. I've never heard that before, though I've never been in the market for a .us domain. Is it specifically for that registrar or all registrars?

I know it's a bit late, but I'd also throw my name into the Namecheap hat. They're really really good.

Not all domains can be private as you've found out. It's very difficult, for example, to get a .co.uk domain private.

I cancelled the .us domain (that was free with my arvixe.com webhost account). Hopefully my personal info won't be snagged before it is wiped. I'll just wait to register the free domain with them later-- whenever the .LLC domain becomes available (because I don't care for the .biz domain) ...or I could transfer the .net to Arvixe next year. Then I'm only be paying for the .com domain with namesilo.