Is the Star Wars Universe Technologically Stale?

Did they reach their limits on huge advances centuries earlier or what? Hyperdrive's are centuries old.. and i mean a lot of centuries... droids, blasters, ect... it seems there isn't a big improvement on a lot of their technology. Is it just that old of a culture and we're seeing the latter end of that?

Think of the hyperdrive as a common accessory in our household. That will give you a clearer picture.

I'm sure there would be technological advances in the world of Star Wars, and here have been a few Clone Wars episodes that hint there are scientists that are busy working even in the world of Star Wars. It's just that technological devices/appliances that have reached a common and widely accepted use don't change so much.

Being a highly technologically advanced world, what seems hi-tech to us is quite common use to its people, and technology that has been refined to that high level and use would be something that, even if updated or changed in some (smaller) ways in its design, would still remain fundamentally, in its function, the same.

Also, most of Star Wars' history is about times of war. During wide-scale war the only technology that develops is weapons technology. And there have been plenty of examples of hi-tech weapon advancement throughout most Star Wars stories.

• 4 weeks later...

The Star Wars chronology is a pretty odd one in that regard, looking at where they were in KOTOR compared to the trilogies. Most worlds were discovered way back when, though Clone Wars and Expanded Universe showed that discovering new worlds, or at least lost worlds, was still possible. Hyperdrive got a bit faster over time and the capabilities of the droids improved substantially.

I feel that both you and Cerez are right. I've always felt that it was sort of odd and stale for them to remain the same for so long, but once you build a blaster that can kill or stun, there's not much improvement that can be done over the years. that's probably why guns haven't evolved much. Until someone can come up with a revolutionary different way to accomplish a task, it'll just be minute advancements. Now, if the Star Wars universe ever gets wormhole technology...

I always enjoyed the inconsistency of hologram technology in particular. The quality seems to vary an awful lot!

Hahaha, that is also true... In my very non-canon machinima series, it's too hard to replicate the flickering blue holograms so they *finally* upgraded to colored and more stable holograms, lol.

Well, Star Wars was never meant to be something that technologically/scientifically makes sense. It's science fiction fantasy. In Star Trek on the other hand, technology actually did matter because it's set in the real world. Also, isn't Kotor part of the EU, which is non-canon now? 

Well, Star Wars was never meant to be something that technologically/scientifically makes sense. It's science fiction fantasy. In Star Trek on the other hand, technology actually did matter because it's set in the real world. Also, isn't Kotor part of the EU, which is non-canon now? 

Ugh, I guess you're right about canon... That's going to be so hard to wrap my head around when it comes to conversations... They've reserved the right to pick and choose things from the EU from which to make official, but yeah...

here is an explication : all of you think with the Earth scale. Star Wars is a galaxy : it is too big. New technologies are not always diffused across the whole Galaxy.

The technology level stagnate. While new technologies are discovered or re-discovered in some parts of th egalaxy, some other technologies disappear because their civilization or their planet disappear.

Exemple : between Kotor and Movies, Sith empire disappeared. All secrets and specific technologies from the sith empire were lost (or seemed to be lost).

Niveau technologie : vous me direz : oui mais en 1500 ans, la technologie évolue et les armures et vaisseaux étaient pourris à l'époque. Eh ben non ! Contrairement à la Terre, Star Wars est une galaxie tellement vaste que les savoirs technologiques ne se transmettent plus dans toute la galaxie. Le niveau stagne donc car en même temps que des nouvelles technologies sont découvertes ou plutôt re-découvertes, d'autres savoirs disparaissent avec leurs peuples en déclins. C'est pour ça que le niveau de Kotor ou de la prélogie sont les mêmes. Et si les vaisseaux de la trilogie ont l'air plus vieux, c'est simplement parce que vous ne voyez que le côté Rebelle qui dispose de faibles moyens financiers. D'autres planètes ont gardé le même niveau que la prélogie.

And you think Africa doesn't have the same "technology level" because it is too far away from the US and so the Africans just don't know what's going on there? Your claim was that knowledge in SW doesn't get diffused because the galaxy is too large, but given the lore, scale makes no difference; by saying that some places are less developed than others despite the diffusion of knowledge, you undermine your own point about the lack of diffusion being the cause of technological stagnation. Also, I don't see why you have to be a sarcastic about this. I made a clear objection and if you find fault in my argument, you can point it out without being rude.

sorry, I would not seemed to be rude.

The forum and written communication make that you can't see all other informations (smile, eyes, gestures of peoples) : posts are often taken more rude than they are really.

I will write again my last post :

yes, you make a point :winkthumb: It is right that communications and travels between planets allow a large diffusion of technologies.

However, travel and communication are not sufficent. For example, even our actual internet and other media, and the large diffusion of a lot of sciences in the world, Africa is not as developped as USA on the technological side (not on the cultural side : no country is more developped than another). That prove there is a lot of other factors.

We can consider that all planets of the core diffuse and share their technology. But a lot of other planets don't do that. They can keep it for military or financial reasons. If nobody come and give you a large amount of money (or equivalent), why will you go on other planets to give them your technology ?

For example : the gungans will not share their blue balls (which they used against droids in the Episode 1) except if there is someone who come in their city and want to buy the blue balls technology with a money accepted by gungans. I don't remeber seeing their blue balls on any other planet.

this is one (and not the only) reason which can (that is not the absolute reason) explains that the SW level of technology stagnate, sometimes increase, sometimes decrease.