[JK2] Boothand's manual block system update thread

So far, only yellow style has been enabled. An idea is to make yellow the slightly faster, technical and close-distance style (though still well within most people's reaction time), and red style a slightly slower but more range-seeking sort of big-sweep style.

If blocking animations are different based on your style, that would be only eye-candy at least. I just added upper diagonal block animations, and I'm happy with the animations, and semi-happy with how it feels like to see them triggered in game.

Like I said, they are triggered automatically if you choose the correct side (left/right). I don't know if that sounds lame, it sounds like something I could be skeptical to, out of context, but blocking is already difficult. Three directions are plentyful when combined with JK2's movement (though slowed down), using movement keys for blocking as well.

I'm considering a stab/thrust, starting from something like a "pflug" (http://www.encasedinsteel.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Cod.44.A.8_001v.jpg, the guy on the left), which would either require a fourth block direction, or would be blockable by forward/backward/nothing movement. Just to be on par with Mount&Blade :P M&B's advantage is that the movement is so clunky that all the focus falls on the weapons. We'll see.. 

Great idea! I've always found medival swordplay interesting, but that stab move looks awesome. I'll be looking foward to trying it out. Btw, is it compatible with your duck playermodel? I've grown attached to that one. :)

Also, I'm kind of curious about blocking DFAs. The Red DFA should be blockable, but the yellow one looks like its straight above. (Not nitpicking)

Well, the duck and the horse are without 'caps', so when they lose a limb there's a see-through surface underneath. Also their hands/fingers aren't rigged as well as the base models, so they will sometimes not appear to hold the hilt properly.

ent likes this

Also, I'm kind of curious about blocking DFAs. The Red DFA should be blockable, but the yellow one looks like its straight above. (Not nitpicking)

I've left DFA, dbs and special moves out of the game. They kind of break the gameplay. In the old version I made DFA only possible from a range, not when close to someone, but from a game design perspective, that's pretty weird and suggests it shouldn't be there at all :P

I've left DFA, dbs and special moves out of the game. They kind of break the gameplay. In the old version I made DFA only possible from a range, not when close to someone, but from a game design perspective, that's pretty weird and suggests it shouldn't be there at all :P

That's a relief. DFAs were soo broken. So, how can I *beta test* the mod? I'd like to check the blocking squares and the duck playermodel. Thanks for answering my question, made me feel a little more at ease. :D

Also, the gameplay looks sick. Some things are too good to be true. But this, is just too good.

Yeah, no singleplayer. I don't feel that would be much point without delving deep into JK2's AI, and this is a lot more interesting vs humans. At a later stage, it's possible I could do some light modifications to the bots, but it's not a priority until the mod is stable and well, and until I know how it's like for humans to play vs each other.

The animation you saw in the start of the video was removed after the first time I tried it in-game and was gone by 0:13 btw!

Yeah, no singleplayer. I don't feel that would be much point without delving deep into JK2's AI, and this is a lot more interesting vs humans. At a later stage, it's possible I could do some light modifications to the bots, but it's not a priority until the mod is stable and well, and until I know how it's like for humans to play vs each other.

The animation you saw in the start of the video was removed after the first time I tried it in-game and was gone by 0:13 btw!

I know it was removed but it still didn't look bad :)