MP NPC Saber Styles?

Has anyone found a way to get NPCs in multiplayer to respect the saber styles given to them - or to the saber they use?

I believe the NPC files mostly work for Single Player but it is in fact the .jkb file that makes an NPC work in Multiplayer. If a model does not have a .jkb file then one must be created for it -- I assume.

The .jkb files are for bots, which are different from NPCs.

Bots are problematic as well; as far as I know, there's no way to set saber styles (or specific sabers) for them. Plus, a lot of custom maps don't have pathing and they wind up jumping around the entire time.

In SP, you can handle all of this in the .npc files and they respect their programming, but the same NPCs spawned in MP seem to disobey certain settings. They're all lightning-fast when it comes to sabering, which no amount of tweaking things like reaction, run or yaw speeds, etc. seems to have any effect on. No matter what class I've tried setting them at, they default to the fast saberstyle.

I'm not sure if the MP Code is set up to read NPC files.If not then it wont change anything if you alter the NPC file.

It is possible to set saberstyles for the bots,by building a simple class system in the code.

Stoiss did a class system in EoC and he built it so you could set the bots up in a similar fashion to NPC,s.

Bots can also be coded to run a way-point path-finding code on maps without bot routes.

The reason that NPC,s are shit at sabercombat is because some code is missing in MP Code that SP code has.

I have been looking in to a similar issue with bots and NPC,s for MP.

Im bridging the Bot code with a large portion if the NPC code, with a complex bot class system, Forcing the bots to use some NPC code in certain circumstances.

The results are Mixed, but its early days yet.

just becours the full source has been released, does it not mean it is more easy to make it happen..

it still use a diff way of how the npcs behavie and works in sp for how they do in mp, the npc code in mp was a really pure port of the sp code, and has always been a pain to work with, maybe thats why no one really never have done somthing awesome with them, i only know one mod there have improved npc ai, witch was JKG, and later got a huge improvement in my mod.

Serenity937 likes this

It is a bit of a nightmare,as I said "Mixed Results".

I've combined a extensive bot_class system ,with a heavily modded bot AI system,that uses small pieces of code moved from the NPC AI and slightly altered and placed in the bot AI system.

lots if issues.mixed results.

I might do a video when its worth looking at.

Stoiss has his finger on the pulse better than me with this one.

the npcs don't need a bot class system to behavie like we did it in EoC, that was for bots and not npcs :)

npcs has its own class system setup, and it is not the class stuff there is broken, but how the npcs does its stance, i remember seeing this for OJP:E source where //[stanceselektion] is done in some of the npcs code. where it tells it to Swift stance more in combat