Fixing the MD3 Exporter for 3ds max (Bug Fixes & Unicode Conversion)

@@minilogoguy18 and other XSI ModTool users... this is for you:

http://www.edharriss.com/tutorials/tutorial_xsi_UV_convert/convert%20_UVinfo.htm

Do you have Dave "NPherno" Eaton II's NPherno's md3 compiler tool? it works, what more could you ask for... Luckily softimage can imort/export .3ds

grab the MD3 compiler from here:

http://www.wolffiles.de/index.php?filebase&fid=1856

The Mod Tool version can only import .3DS files, not export them.

I'd kill for some .MD3 support, I'm sure I can trade some services for someone around here who can make me a plugin. I'd almost be willing to pay if the price is right, I'm not rich but I also don't worry about money.

@@Archangel35757

dotXSI 3.x

dotXSI 5

dotXSI 6

Collada 1.4.1 DAE XML

FBX

DirectX

ActorX

Point Oven LWO

ASE

I also have a 3rd party plugin that does OBJ which is normally capped in Mod Tool.

I'm not interested in conversion tools since I have that covered, I really want a true MD3 import/export option.

...but do xsi plugins or addons work equally for ModTool?

@@DT85 - if there is a stage in the MD3 export process that deals with the vertex normals... then I can send you my vertex normals code and help you integrate it.

Or you could do it for me. Would probably be faster for the both of us. Do it for one, and I'll transfer it to other Max versions. :P

I've sent you a link to the code on my dropbox via Skype.

righto ol' chap... but can't download the package due to my DSL cable being cut by lawncare people that aeriated the lawn (and my phone line) today. Luckily I sent my vertex normal code snippets to Scooper via email so I will forward that to you as well.

Update: @@DT85 - forwarded the vertex normal code snippet to you.

DT. likes this

@@Archangel35757 I think I've found the code for working out normals. So any idea how to stuff your snippet into this? :P

Point3 un_n	= allNorms[j];

Point3 & n	= _tm.PointTransform( un_n );

Point3 _elv_t = n; _elv_t.y = 0;
						Point3 _rot_t = n; _rot_t.z = 0;

Point3 _elv_n = _elv_t.Normalize();
						Point3 _rot_n = _rot_t.Normalize();

float _elv	= DotProd( z_axis, _elv_n );
						float _rot	= DotProd( x_axis, _rot_n );

_elevation	= (unsigned char)( acos(_elv) / (2*PI) * 255 );

if( n.y >= 0 )
							_rotation	= (unsigned char)( acos(_rot) / (2*PI) * 255 );
						else
							_rotation	= (unsigned char)( (1.0f - (acos(_rot)/(2*PI))) * 255 );

putc( _elevation,	file );	// normal elevation angle: 0 up, 63 sideways and 80 down.
						putc( _rotation,	file );	// normal rotation: 0 straight along X, 40 straight along Y, 7f opposite X, c0 opposite Y

Also, that code snippet from the MD3 exporter doesn't even give proper normals when looking at it in modview (after conversion to GLM) or imported back into Max (using Noesis to export to FBX). Seems pretty broken. I've put your snippet in and it does compile, just crashes the plugin. Open up the Max 6-8 project and search for "Archangel Code - START". The original normals code is just above it.

@@Archangel35757 Could you maybe point me in perhaps the direction in which I could maybe build my own plugin using the MD3 source code? The scripting languages supported by Softimage are JScript, Python, VBScript and PelScript. VBScript is the defualt, the plugin that MrWonko made for Blender is written in Python, I was always curious if it could maybe be used as a base to build a plugin for Softimage more quickly by someone who knows what to do with it???

I'm a total nub when it comes to this sort of thing, I'm willing to try to learn though since I'm kinda in a slump with modeling at the moment and the distraction may help to get my ambition to work on some things moving again.