MBII

Exmirai

I should have clarified, and I don't mean to step on any toes here, but the current setup is a bit of a mess.

This is something that happens when people come on and off a project thats been going on so long. A lot of things are a mess in MB2's code related things. Even if something is simple for an outside project, it isn't quite the same for MB2 because of how much coding hands were traded off. I know you're just talking about some of the more basic things, but that still kinda applies. We start updating things to say a new version of VS, forget filters or whatever. Happens. MB2 isn't something any of us praise for having the most user friendly code base in the world.

This stuff is something I'll be changing for the MB3 version. Rules and such so the code base will never get to a hard to manage state like MB2 is.

Is there no backup/history at point of the currently released version which could be re-released with hacks removed/detection added?

There should be somewhere yes. The only part of MB2 we've had to remove from revision history is the physical SVN for all the assets (Code is separate) due to running out of disk space. So it should all be there. But there isn't much point in digging it up, doing that work, then testing to be sure its all proper when we want to hopefully release a new build this summer anyway. Easier to just do it on the current build to not take up limited time the beta testers have.

I think the code only goes back to RC1-ish fwiw, maybe even farther back.

Thats when we switched to the HG. There is a backup hidden of previous versions. You might not specifically have access to it. The same happens for the map source as well in the beta SVN. Only certain people have access to that, it isn't a team permission.

I just added OpenJK support to the code.

/me runs

Okay, then the question is did you check what the others did? Defiant said he started code in the thread a few days ago but then got torn away, StormChaser said he also worked on it a little. There is no point having duplicate code across it. Either way, post in the OpenJK thread in dev, cause it doesn't seem like you posted to tell everyone :P. People stepping on eachothers toes is part of the issue why the code is so jumbled all over the place.

Clarified in the dev thread. It's for the client, not the server. And as I pointed out, nobody in their right mind would ever try and bypass this. There's nothing which would be exploited if people tried to play the game without either the hacks or OpenJK in place, and I suspect it's the same case with the server.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey guys, I wanted to give you an update on this.

Release for MB2 is closing in, and there are still some issues with OpenJK working (There are some crashes while using it). Eezstreet isn't entirely sure what the cause could be (there could be a hook in cgame for all I know that what he did doesn't take care of, but I'm no coder). It is being looked into, slowly, but OpenJK support might have to come in a hotfix shortly after release to avoid delaying. Hopefully that won't be necessary, but if it is, please don't get too mad at us.

minilogoguy18, Stoiss and Exmirai like this

Hey eezstreet could you submit a patch for linux ui & cgame? I could do it myself if I had repo access.

Would require a bit of a rewrite there since MB2 doesn't compile Linux UI/cgame yet. But it wouldn't be too bad to make it work on that platform, basing it off of Mac. Honestly I'm not the guy when it comes to Linux compilation. I'd rather have someone like @@Raz0r or @@Xycaleth do it as I haven't had too much experience in a Unix environment, but I don't know if the MB2 team would like that...then again, they are listed in the MB2 credits afaik so maybe.