Intellisense: No additional information available

Visual Studio 2010 doesn't seem to want to help me with Intellisense...

Herm. Any non-complex way to fix this? It's not because of how OpenJK is set up is it? I don't see why no matter how it's set up it can't tell me if I forget a semicolon or something...

Would VS2012 have better Intellisense support too?

I tried cleaning the solution, VS still won't tell me though if I forget a semicolon though and stuff like that... not getting the "No additional information" message though anymore... also I did try double-clicking on it a bunch of times but that didn't take me anywhere it was just a plain message I guess...  :(

Didn't do it. I never really had Intellisense to begin with... is there anything I had to do special for OpenJK to get it going? I saw some stuff on the internet about enabling intellisense for makefile projects but none of the options they had showed up for me :/

So, without Windows 7 I can't use VS 2012 or 2013.

Any suggestions? I never changed anything with Intellisense apparently, still says No Additional Information Available. Has anyone gotten Intellisense working in VS 2010 for OpenJK?

I've always been able to get intellisense working at some point on Windows XP. You could try deleting the symbols database (while VS is closed) and get Visual Studio to regenerate it by reopening the solution file. In VS2010, it's the .sdf file (I believe). I can't remember what extension the database file had under VS2008.

I've always been able to get intellisense working at some point on Windows XP. You could try deleting the symbols database (while VS is closed) and get Visual Studio to regenerate it by reopening the solution file. In VS2010, it's the .sdf file (I believe). I can't remember what extension the database file had under VS2008.

Where would this file be? In the folder where the OpenJK solution file is?

EDIT: NVM, I think I found it, it was labeled as an SQL Server Compact Database or something file, deleted it, now I'm starting up visual studio, and it seems to be parsing all the files in the solution again... still no error reporting from Intellisense though, I think I'm going to have to look it up on the internet more.

I have all the proper settings on so I don't know why it's not working...

ctags

What are ctags?

Can anyone vouch that VS2010 (or 2008) on Windows XP has had working Intellisense for them with OpenJK?

Me.  It is a bit derpy sometimes though, sometimes takes it a few seconds to catch up to me when I'm typing.  I don't use that machine much anymore though.

JKG Developer

^So it auto-lists members and gives you squiggles when you refer to non-existent variables or forget semi-colons and stuff like that?

I mean, there is a database there for me where I can look up where variables are declared and what not, but the very basic feature of spellchecking by Intellisense seems to be broken. I've basically given up for now, I'll just have to make do I suppose...

But...

@@eezstreet:

Is there anything I might have done in building the .sln file with CMake that would cause Intellisense not to work, and I could rebuild it? Or that's not even really related?

^So it auto-lists members and gives you squiggles when you refer to non-existent variables or forget semi-colons and stuff like that?

I mean, there is a database there for me where I can look up where variables are declared and what not, but the very basic feature of spellchecking by Intellisense seems to be broken. I've basically given up for now, I'll just have to make do I suppose

Why would you want spell checking anyway? Most of C/C++ is very grammatically horrible/shortened abrv spellings of things, eg: int, char, etc...

JKG Developer

When I say spellchecking I mean, checking for easily proofread errors/typos in my syntax, like if I write "inr" instead of "int", "swtich" instead of "switch", forget a ";" or something. Not rocket science, which is partially why I don't get why this isn't working... I'm not asking Visual Studio to do anything overly complex lol.

But that is kind of complex in the context of source code. That's why the error messages it produces from syntax errors are not particularly verbose.

It's totally different to actual spelling errors in a body of text, especially considering it can use a dictionary and compare e.g. the levenshtein distance or hamming distance on each dictionary element.

Not quite the same when much of the text is not found in a dictionary. If you wanted it to replace e.g. itn with int, it would first have to deduce the context in which the token exists - i.e. building a syntax tree and deciding whether it's an operator, identifier, keyword, etc.

I'm no expert on the subject, but I can see why it's omitted from every IDE I've seen so far. Source code isn't a story.