MD3 size issue?

Guest KENNITHH
Go to solution Solved by mrwonko,

Guest KENNITHH

So I've got these trees I want to export as MD3. Some work but some come out really messed up.

Here's what I mean.. the thing is, some trees work, some don't.

Any ideas on how to fix it?

Left = how it should be 
Right = when I exported it as MD3 and imported it again to view the model

juq7.jpg

PS: this is for SoF2 but it's basicly the same and this is just the modelling part.

(soldier of fortune II double helix but the modding community is as good as dead so you guys are my only hope)

I'd guess you've scaled the trunk cylinder object down but the md3 exporter you're using doesn't take that into account. Try applying the object scale to the mesh so it's unscaled.

Without any information on what you're working with we can't tell you how exactly to do that, obviously.

Guest KENNITHH

I'm using MilkShape 3D (1.8.5) to export as MD3, always did as it feels the easiest way and always works, just not with "large" models.

The thing is, if I rescale to model real small, it exports good but then the model is too small to use as model_static, misc_model would use too much FPS on this.

EDIT: You gave me an idea which looks to be solving the problem.

I tried scaling the whole model so both groups (bark/branch) just fit the viewport like in this picture. If any of the vertexes per group come out of the viewport, the model get stretched.
Do all the md3 exporters have this issue? Or is it just MilkShape related? This would be a huge help if other exporters don't matter which size the models have.

pghz.jpg

Edited by KENNITHH

I always had this problem when exporting MD3 from any program, until I discovered that it never happened if I placed the model at 0, 0, 0 coordinates before I exported. So if I had several seperate parts in my model, I usually attached them before export, or adjusted their pivot point so that they all could be set to 0, 0, 0 and still look the way they should.

Guest KENNITHH

Yeah gnur, it seems like it has to be in some kind of invisible box, if it goes outside of it, it gets stretched. No issues anymore so far !

Here's a picture of it ingame, I guess I should get it lightened it somehow though

t5qs.jpg

Thanks again mrwonko and gnur for the help, didn't expect to have a solution, neither an answer that fast.

Cheers to the jk community !

I am arriving late, but i will tell yu what i know.

i get too that issue with 3d max 5 Quale md3 exported models.XD, also in 3d max 5 not save me text and material 

but now ty to @@mrwonko i using blender 2.64 with md3 plug in so i work model on 3d max and i exporto on blender on 3DS, or ASE or OBJ at second of the case, and i import on blender, than i put the texture address with custom proprierties selectings meshes of th eobjest and setting key: md3shader and value the relative path with name of texture: models/map_objects/NAMEFOLDER/NAMETEXTURE. and so tha'ts work, yes, i too have that trouble of distorsion, but that be make by the exporter of 3d max \ softimage \ milkshapes MD3. >_< so, is very common, i have a big door of a stronghold that become a biiig and strange deformed woodplateau ROFTL. but i have solved exporing in 3ds \ obj \ ase into blender and converting with blender 2.64 the md3, but i havetoo the isse of missing texturing, so i need to take this longest way. for the scale problem: is not a big trouble. i have some models... okay, A VERY LARGE amount of  models scaled with hilarous dimension into  gtkradiant when i load the misc_model and i resolve simply using the parameter Key modelscale value: 100 or whatever value yu need, and yu can set the scale of the model of how much you want to be big :)

Guest KENNITHH

Thanks for the info asgarath but everything was fine now.

Btw, I don't like using misc_model with very detailed models like I use, they tend to lower the fps a lot for me. So modelscale is out of the question anyway :P