Midgar v3 has broken textures in OpenJK, but not in base game

Freaky Mutant Man

So I've recently switched to using OpenJK over the normal version, and overall things have worked much better than they have before; animated images are actually animated now, mods with RGB sabers are now properly transparent, and maps that never rendered correctly now work perfectly. However, Midgar v3 has all kinds of visual errors in OpenJK; missing textures, incorrect textures, missing skyboxes. Mechanically, it all seems fine, but much of the map is marred by grey/white checkerboxes. When played from jamp.exe, everything looks just fine; it's only in OpenJK that things go wrong. I know Atlantica, another map from Scizo, recently had an update that fixed similar OpenJK issues, and the source files for Midgar v3 are available; what might need to be done to fix the issues? Is there perhaps a solution that doesn't involve directly altering the map, or will I have to go digging around the source files?

This is due to his use of # in comments. // and /* */ are to be used exclusively, and while # is supported in base due to bugged behavior (it still remains unknown how it worked before without causing problems. This comment style is not supported in ioquake3 at all), this behavior is deprecated in OpenJK and not supported. It is up to him to fix his maps.

If we support it, then that means that we will be supporting maps with undefined behavior in base, which might result in all kinds of wacky behavior... I'm surprised his maps haven't caused crashes or worse yet.

Furthermore, we've attempted to engage in dialogue prior to this and he hasn't responded. So our response is: no, we aren't supporting the maps, it's his responsibility to fix them.

This is due to his use of # in comments. // and /* */ are to be used exclusively, and while # is supported in base due to bugged behavior (it still remains unknown how it worked before without causing problems. This comment style is not supported in ioquake3 at all), this behavior is deprecated in OpenJK and not supported. It is up to him to fix his maps.

If we support it, then that means that we will be supporting maps with undefined behavior in base, which might result in all kinds of wacky behavior... I'm surprised his maps haven't caused crashes or worse yet.

Furthermore, we've attempted to engage in dialogue prior to this and he hasn't responded. So our response is: no, we aren't supporting the maps, it's his responsibility to fix them.

Im sorry there has been plenty of response - I have fixed various maps as already stated. However, I still feel that if the goal of OpenJK is to preserve compatability with base JA, you need to readdress this change in shader syntax behaviour.

eezstreet likes this

I wasn't asking if you guys were planning on supporting the maps; I was asking what I could do to fix my personal copy of the map, which is why I originally posted this in Tech Support. In that regard, it appears I have my answer. Ignoring the argument going on here, in what files would these comments be found? Are they in the shaders themselves, are they found in the .bsp, somewhere else? If I were to attempt to fix things, just how much tedium am I looking at? It's a great map that I've gone back to several times over the years in an attempt to find all the switches (never have), and the grey/black checkerboards are not easy on the eyes, to say the least.

eezstreet likes this

I wasn't asking if you guys were planning on supporting the maps; I was asking what I could do to fix my personal copy of the map, which is why I originally posted this in Tech Support. In that regard, it appears I have my answer. Ignoring the argument going on here, in what files would these comments be found? Are they in the shaders themselves, are they found in the .bsp, somewhere else? If I were to attempt to fix things, just how much tedium am I looking at? It's a great map that I've gone back to several times over the years in an attempt to find all the switches (never have), and the grey/black checkerboards are not easy on the eyes, to say the least.

Extract the shaders from the pk3, modify them in notepad ( remove all the #'s ), repack them into the pk3.

eezstreet likes this

Im sorry there has been plenty of response - I have fixed various maps as already stated. However, I still feel that if the goal of OpenJK is to preserve compatability with base JA, you need to readdress this change in shader syntax behaviour.

We already addressed it. The use of # in shaders is:

- Not supported in other similar projects for similar games (OJK is the ioq3 of JA, despite what certain people think)

- Not mentioned in the Q3E shader manual

- Not used by any base shaders

So why would an undocumented, unintentional 'feature' be promoted as something we should allow, even though it might cause issues in the base game? It's a little ridiculous that we have to cave to support something totally asinine like this. Why don't we make text in ~~s be comments too? It worked in base.

(...actually that's totally ironic because it might have.)

MoonDog likes this