Problems with my Ladder

So, I made a few ladders and they work well. Sometimes, though, the player will go down the ladder and will hit the bottom of the next room and suffer some damage. This doesn't happen every time you use the ladder. My ladder is fairly tall so maybe the game thinks the player is falling instead of using the ladder. At any rate, is there anything I can do at the bottom of the ladder to have the player incur no damage?

In your systems folder, there is a shader called "cushion". Place this below the ladder, and falldamage won't happen here. It also won't play footstep sounds I think.

Well, that makes sense... lol ...

Does the brush for the cushion need to be a certain height or anything?

Well, that makes sense... lol ...

Does the brush for the cushion need to be a certain height or anything?

I think it just needs to be there. I haven't tested this in a while, but just test it out on small brushes close to the floor or even patch meshes maybe.

I suppose you should make the area small so that players won't do what @ described.

I think it just needs to be there. I haven't tested this in a while, but just test it out on small brushes close to the floor or even patch meshes maybe.

I suppose you should make the area small so that players won't do what @ described.

Yeah, i suppose it does just have to be there.

The opening itself is around 50x50 units. the shaft itself is 64x64. There is no way a player can jump. They can speed down the ladder, but, you still hear the climbing sound. Imagine a hatch in the floor, it opens, and there is the ladder in a shaft. 

Yeah, i suppose it does just have to be there.

The opening itself is around 50x50 units. the shaft itself is 64x64. There is no way a player can jump. They can speed down the ladder, but, you still hear the climbing sound. Imagine a hatch in the floor, it opens, and there is the ladder in a shaft. 

Good idea.

IrocJeff what are you doing to create your ladder? Are you using the tiny brushes method of making a super tall stair case or are you just making a brush around it with system/ladder like SoF2 / W:ET ?

I'm using the system texture. I don't know any other way to make a ladder.

Here is how I did mine in case anyone is interested. I made brushes that look like a ladder. Then, make a brush that would encompass the bounding box of the player and place that right up against the ladder step. You can make it bigger if you like. Shown at the right you have the wall, the step, the ladder texture.   |--{ladder system texture} . It should look something like that in the editor with about the same width as well.

Then, as someone above mentioned, I put a Cushion system texture on a brush and then placed that at the bottom of the ladder the same width and my ladder system texture. This stops the problem that randomly happened to me when climbing down the ladder and taking damage.