rd-rend2 (old thread)

eezstreet

Here's TFU Darth Maul head (as the player model) in OpenJK rend2 with a solid gray diffuse texture to show off normal mapping:

ejk9.jpg

The normal map isn't that great, but it serves its purpose here. Now to start making content with normal maps in mind.... :D

Does it mean that we can start creating normal maps for existing JKA models right now ?

Also great job.

When you say a 'grey diffuse texture', do you mean it is just solid grey?

Yeah, solid gray. All the details you see are done via the normal map.

@@eezstreet

It doesn't match what I get in 3ds max 1:1 for some reason, could be the glsl shader or something I dunno much about that stuff. Here's the pic from max:

ay9r.jpg

I tried to mimic the lighting as much as possible without spending hours lol.

Omicron likes this

It'll be a while before it's properly useable, and at some point I want to change the rend2 shaders to something even more simpler. It seems like I'm the only person doing any work on it, and I also have my FBX converter to work on too :P

To convert JA model for Mudbox, then draw normal map and add it to model folder and see it ingame - sounds like epic win :]

Do MDR & IQM even work? The assets & the community don't use them, maybe just dump em?

EDIT:

MD3 normal maps aren't working. In ioquake3, I can use rgbgen vertexlit and it works fine. Tried it with OpenJK and didn't work, so then I tried rgbgen lightingdiffuseEntity and still nothing. That and specular doesn't look to be working at all, even on the map textures. I'm also not convinced that normal maps for Ghoul2 are working as they should. A feature request I'd like is a way to flip any of the R G B channels of a normal map via the .mtr shader rather than having to manually flip the channels in photoshop all the time.

• 2 weeks later...

And now there will be twice as much work to do when making changes to it :(

well

need to make renderers that work in both SP and MP

I'm mostly porting this over for the sake of my mod..I've had some requests to improve JK2 support and I've kinda been sidetracked a bit

I envision the process working like the following:

CMake option: SPRend2

new project in code/rd-rend2 that has includes in code/rd-rend2

uses preprocessor: _SP

Uses basically the same code, but has some differences in SP. This would be like a precursor to unified codebase ?

All I'm saying is that you'll end up porting it to SP, and then rend2 in MP will change drastically (which it will) and you won't bother porting those chanes across. And then we have the problem of two versions of the same renderer. Or alternatively a shit load of work will need to be done again to get the two renderers compatible even with each other.

All I'm saying is that you'll end up porting it to SP, and then rend2 in MP will change drastically (which it will) and you won't bother porting those chanes across. And then we have the problem of two versions of the same renderer. Or alternatively a shit load of work will need to be done again to get the two renderers compatible even with each other.

Not if you use the previous method that I mentioned. It's the same code, just with some #ifdefs (believe me, the differences between SP and MP are veeeery subtle in terms of how they actually work).

I have it basically running, just crashes on some stuff that isn't done yet (dissolve, SP-specific ghoul2 stuff (which is actually fine to port to MP))