rd-rend2 (old thread)

eezstreet

Some things noticed need work: (not complete)

r_hdr causes some shaders to be broken.

Demp2 alt fire effect broken

Absorb shader doesn't work

Bubble shader (boons/invuln) looks bad.

Push/pull half sphere's are not implemented to correctly work as they do in vanilla.

Lighting changes due to RBSP and lightstyles not yet compatible with rend2.

Weapon marks (saber marks seem to work though)

Weather

Non-brush based fog

Surfacesprites

Shader commands not implemented:

glow (silently ignored)

noglfog (silently ignored)

q3map_surfacelight / surfacelight (might not really be used)

surfaceSprites (silently ignored)

ss* (silently ignored)

Smoo likes this

Keep in mind that the majority of our work here is just porting the rend2 renderer from ioq3 to JKA. There's just a lot of small differences between the regular Q3 engine and the JKA engine which means rend2 doesn't quite work properly! So we can't take all the credit for what you see ;) Our work so far has been bridging these small differences so that it does work.

eezstreet, DT. and Futuza like this

WOW! I cant wait to use this!!! My maps and skins will be able to go to a whole new level. Although I will ask this. Normal mapping in the (Trick version for JA) usually upped compiled time for lighting through the roof, for even just a simple map... How do you plan on overcoming this? 

The normal mapping sounds like a great addition however the issues with it and q3maps2 then will also have to be addressed. This also will help your normal maps allot to actually show without having to use a saber light. The engine + this would make it bump on its own even better then what is shown in ur pic. So when you use ur saber near it, theoretically itd be even more extreme then what you have showing in your pictures.

Yeah, you'd only need to specify new sky stuff in the shader. The actual map itself is compiled the same. You can have baseJKA compatibility using a .shader and rend2 compatibility using .mtr (which is made the exact same way .shader files are).

While it's a cool option to fool around with, you wouldn't really want to use auto generated normal maps. Best results come from making the diffuse & specular with normal mapping in mind. :P

The auto-generated normal maps are also not that great - think of the normal map generator in Photoshop - it's something along those lines.

Regarding normal maps from q3map2, rend2 does support something it calls 'deluxe maps'. These are used in Half Life 2, and essentially create normal maps for the lightmaps, but still need to be fixed. I want to look at eventually replacing this though with something a bit lighter weight though as deluxe maps take up a lot of memory.