so it's been one year since JKG was released..

I don't really have any machinima editing skills, but I'm a pretty good actor/player. Would be willing to take part in it :).

The machinima editor is allowed to choose whoever they want to act in the video, so if you talk with them, I'm sure they will see what they can do.

And we've considered you for the closed beta anyway

I can't say, that I actually player JKG, but what I saw - I really enjoyed. I had no opportunity to play per se, simply because I only tried some maps and demo-like materials before the release and after that the first version, where one could only check some of the many new options of the mod. It was awesome! But I wanted more. =)

• 5 months later...

Hi, just thought I'd like to revive this. Open source development has been going pretty smoothly. We have around 3-5 people casually reporting and fixing bugs. There's a downloadable version of the game on the jkgalaxies.com site. We just got done migrating our codebase to OpenJK (NOT a simple task by any means...a good 40% of the code had to be redone/cleaned up). Hopefully we can get an automated build system going. The launcher is almost done I think, it's been given plenty of new features. Our host can now handle the download flow, so hopefully we shouldn't run into any problems.

For now, you can download the mod on the site. The code in that package is about two weeks out of date (so it's missing a large number of fixes) but the assets ought to be fine. Once I get home I'll put up a link to some newer binaries in this thread.

So some basic information:

In the past, we restricted the /devmap feature and used PK3 protection. Since /devmap couldn't work due to the large quantities of engine hacks, we disabled it. However since we no longer require engine hacks, the feature has been brought back. PK3s were protected before, but now since we are open to anyone's contributions, the protection doesn't make any sense. (The game can still load protected PK3s as a backwards compatibility feature, or if mod makers want to protect their custom PK3s. It does not affect the size of the PK3)

Server owners should have no issue getting their server to show up, but note that the binaries on the site are out of date and have a bug where clients can't see your server. As I mentioned before, I will be putting these up.

As it's a WIP, there will likely be many bugs present. You can use our issue tracker (http://github.com/jkgdevs/openjk/issues) to report new bugs or make note of existing ones. Always use the newest binaries when reporting bugs. Our feed on the main site page reports real-time code changes being made.

You can also develop a mod for JKG, or one that's based on it. We have no real restrictions, we just ask that you give permission where it's due, and don't profit off of it. Our code is licensed under GPL, so make sure you adhere to it.

So how do you play JKG?

It's a first person shooter at the moment. You may find lightsabers at the store though, but the saber combat is currently bugged.

Whenever you get kills, destroy enemy equipment, or assist your teammates, you will receive credits. Your spawning area always contains at least one shopkeeper where you can purchase new weapons (press USE to talk to them). Killing multiple people in one life puts a bounty on your head, so be careful!

All purchased weapons are automatically placed in your ACI (active combat inventory). You can assign and unassign weapons to it through your inventory (default: I). Also, some items (such as bacta healing items) can be assigned to it for quick use. You can only carry a certain weight of items at a time.

Currently, all shopkeepers have random stock, but we will be putting random-preset (random, but limited to certain items) shop stock in at some point.

Also, currently ammo is just given at respawn. This will be changed later to be proper ammo items.

Omicron, Stoiss, Circa and 1 other like this