Segmenting Models In SoftImage 7.5

Hi folks,

Today I decided to follow minilogoguy18's video tutorials for getting a character model into JKA: http://jkhub.org/tutorials/article/90-softimagexsi-joja-skeleton-bonestags-and-compiling-guide/

All went very well so far, and I have got a model up to as far as minilogo has made videos for. As I understand it, the next part of the process now that the model has been weighed to the skeleton, is to segment the model, label it according to the 9-part structure of the standard JKA model (hips, l_leg, r_leg, etc) and then arrange the hierarchy accordingly.

In lieu of waiting for the next video, I thought I would set out to experiment with Mod Tools and see how far I could get down the process by myself. The only trouble is, segmenting the mesh.

I have tried selecting the polygons of the section I want to segment (for example, the head), and then going to Modify -> Poly Mesh -> Disconnect Components. Only I can't seem to find any indication that the head is indeed segmented - there is no option to rename this new section, and when I select the main body of the model the head is still selected. I can, however, move the head away from the body with the translate tool whilst it is still selected. There are just no new indications in the Explorer window that a separate segment has been created.

I fear I've overlooked something painfully obvious, but if anybody could give me a quick rundown on how to segment/hierarchy the model in 7.5, I'd be most grateful.