map to ase?

You should make everything detail and then add a caulk hull too. (Least, that's what Ive always done)

As for how to actually make the ase - copy this text into notepad, edit the paths and save it as a .bat file, Then drag n' drop the .map onto the .bat and it'll spit out a convert for you.

Decreasing the subdivisions value with make it bake more detailed curves into any patch meshes.

"C:\Utilities\GTK Radiant 1.6.3\q3map2\q3map2.exe" -game ja -meta -patchmeta -subdivisions 8 -v -fs_basepath "C:/Games/Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy/gamedata" %1
"C:\Utilities\GTK Radiant 1.6.3\q3map2\q3map2.exe" -game ja -convert -format ase -fs_basepath "C:/Games/Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy/gamedata" %1
pause
Futuza likes this

im looking for a way to minimize external shots of my enterprise map, without using a tonne of brush work, some areas specifically one needs a completel view from the saucer section to the rear where the engineering hull and engines are

I suggest this be made into a tutorial

Select the pieces you'd like to make into an ase.

Go to file and click save selection. Save it as name_you_want.map

Open that map. Press I(invert) with nothing selected to select everything. Make sure your filters are off.

Place everything at origin. 0, 0 , 0. This will become the ase's origin. Make sure you do this. 

I usually align an edge to 0, 0, 0. The edge that I'll align with geometry.

You can now convert it to an ase.

In addition to this, make at least one brush structural (or just make them all structural with invert selection, w/e). A caulkhull isn't necessary.

In addition to this, make at least one brush structural (or just make them all structural with invert selection, w/e). A caulkhull isn't necessary.

Rather then this, I would recommend making everything detail except for the box surrounding the ASE model plus putting one player start entity in. Otherwise you'll get a leak . . .

Signature.jpg

You don't need to worry about leaks, leaks are for -vis. You shouldn't even be compiling -vis for a .ase. o.0

The bottom line is: it need's at least one structural brush in order to set up the BSP tree. No entities are needed. Then q3map2 takes the .map, turns it into a .bsp, then takes the surface data and turns that into a .ase.