How to compile JK2 source code?

Hi there. I'm trying to do a test build of the Jedi Outcast Solution that came with the full source code and no joy. Which version of Visual Studio or what do I have to do to clean those errors and be able to build the entire solution? Thanks.

PS: I'm not using OpenJK. I want to use a clean source code to start testing ideas.

1. slow running: compile in Release/FinalBuild, not Debug.

2. not seeing any VFX: fixed

3. menus items missing: run with +set com_jk2 1 in the commandline

If you're going to do just a clean slate, it's going to take you around 8 hours of solid changing things (or 6, if you're fast) before it even compiles, no guarantees on it working. OpenJK is much quicker, but it isn't really JK2 friendly yet. I can understand why you wouldn't want all the goop though.

therfiles, Master Ridley and Corto like this

Great, compiling in Release. What do I do with VFX code? Do I have to replace parts of the code I downloaded from that website? I'm running with the set com_jk2 1 already and I can live with a few menu items missing. I'm going to use this code instead as you advised.

Update: Compiled the .dll in Release and I'm still getting a terribly laggy performance when I had a flawless gameplay with the original dll. I guess it's because of what you said about not being 100% jk2 friendly.

Replace tr_main.cpp (code/renderer), that should be enough. As for the lag, I'm not sure on that but it should be because the Debug stuff has like zero optimizations while release has significantly more. FX gets really laggy in particular.

Make sure you're grabbing release stuff from bin/Release, not bin/Debug.