Multi-core optimizations?

hell yeah another totally UNIQUE mod no one thought about!

every1 prolly noticed that this mystery option call dynamic glow slows down dual & even quad-core CPUs to framerates even below 15fps!!

but now that source code is now there aint no excuse no more & optimizing it for 2+ cores should be piece of cake for any of the hi-level C programmers here no?

hows that possible? that means dynamic glow technology is many many years ahead of the gfx cards of the time, why did they deliberatly make an option that slowed down even most recent rigs? 

(also some games like Crysis are suppose to be CPU intensive, so generaly speaking HOW do we know if a game is CPU intensive or GPU intensive? hows it possible to tell? :huh: )

Yes. Very much so.

Crysis is a GPU intensive game because all those pretty sparkly effects are done on the GPU. Likewise, JA's sparkly "dynamic glow" (which btw drains FPS hardcore due to the process they used to render it, NOTHING to do with CPU whatsoever in this case) is done on the GPU. Multicore anything is all based on the CPU.

Quake 3 does vertex transformations on the CPU. OpenJK is working to make those done on the GPU (like any modern game engine -- hint, Crysis -- does) Thus all you can probably expect to get from multicore support is probably better server performance/less server lag. And that wouldn't even really affect your end of the thing for the most part. Other thing you can do I guess is make the load screen prettier and not suck. But that's about it I guess.

tip: generally you should try and research a topic a little bit before trying to suggest stuff that you don't know what you're talking about. And read the issue list for OpenJK before you call your ideas novel, seriously.

so in other words that dynamic glow thing slows down fps because of bad programming?

then is it even possible to fix it in source code so that its easier on the GPU or not? :(

also why it says everywhere that Crysis is Cpu intensive & that it need at least 4 cores to work? :huh: 

I mean if their all wrong then if I have just a single-core CPU but a state-of-art GPU, that means I could still play Crysis at max detail?

Jka was released at a time when there was little support for programming on the GPU. It was mainly a list of set instructions you could do, so the dynamic glow stuff was kind of a hack. It wasnt bad programming, but limitations. Nowadays, GPUs can be programmed similar to how you program a computer so you can do all the fancy graphics effects, which leaves the CPU free to do other stuff like physics and ai. Crysis is both CPU and GPU intensive so you need a good CPU and GPU to run it with full settings enabled.

eezstreet likes this

Jka was released at a time when there was little support for programming on the GPU. It was mainly a list of set instructions you could do, so the dynamic glow stuff was kind of a hack. It wasnt bad programming, but limitations. Nowadays, GPUs can be programmed similar to how you program a computer so you can do all the fancy graphics effects, which leaves the CPU free to do other stuff like physics and ai.

wait so you saying the dynamic glow thing in JA is really CPU-intensive? (cause ezstreet said its GPU-intensive. now Im confused :blink:  )

You sure you have it set to /r_dynamicglow 3? I can stay at 90fps with it on, I set my fps limit to 90 so it'll probably go higher. I'm playing on mildly populated MP servers btw.

no idea what that /r setting is, I just tick the 'dynamic glow" option in game menu

btw I got an old card (radeon x1950pro) dates back to 2006 or something but its still years after JA so it should be able run the game with all options no problem

wait so you saying the dynamic glow thing in JA is really CPU-intensive? (cause ezstreet said its GPU-intensive. now Im confused :blink:  )

That's not what he said at all. He said that the dynamic glow was done using hacky/highly..awful code executed on the GPU to make it work properly, but now that code can be executed on a GPU like a CPU, that isn't an issue anymore since now you can rewrite the code properly. 

That's not what he said at all. He said that the dynamic glow was done using hacky/highly..awful code executed on the GPU to make it work properly, but now that code can be executed on a GPU like a CPU, that isn't an issue anymore since now you can rewrite the code properly. 

in other words u guys can fix it? :)

It's the console command, there are multiple settings for dynamic glow, try enabling it through the console by typing what I showed, if you're playing SP take off the forward slash.

whats the difference with enable it in game menu? is it like a lower-detail dynamic glow or something?