Model duplicating when Dismembered

Hey guys just a quick question, and curious if anyone knows the answer to this.

So I've finished up rigging a model and putting it in game, works perfectly and so forth, except for one issue.

Whenever the model is killed with a saber and is meant to dismember it duplicates/splits in two rather than have the limb get severed - so I end up with two corpses rather than a dismembered one.

Not too sure what is causing this issue, but would be nice to know if anyone has encountered it - thanks in advance.

I think dismemberment works by saying "only draw surface X and its descendants," where X is fixed. So make sure you have a proper hierarchy and you're using the same names for your surfaces* as the original models.

*I don't know which surfaces in particular make a difference, but this shouldn't be too hard to figure out from the MP SDK. I'll take a look later, if I remember.

Ah ok thanks that would make sense - I overlooked that part, tags are just under hips at the moment derp.

But what would I do for multiple variations of a body part?

So say I have two hips, obviously the first one would be the parent of the hierarchy I'm guessing, but where do I put the tags if there is only one set of tags and two hip models?

I ran into this with Inyri's Geth as it was a bit high poly and I had to split some parts up, if you have the hips split in 2 just have it like this

hips

|__ hips2
   |__ hips related tags

|__ torso

|__ l_leg

|__ r_leg

Don't place anything under the second hips mesh, not the torso, legs or any tags and it will dismember properly.

See Tim Appleby's tutorial that comes with the SDK for proper hierarchy.