New laptop pls

Ok.

So, I've got quite a bit of money after my birthday and christmas, 408 Dollars/2271 NOK.

And I want a new laptop. I would like it to play mostly CPU intensive games like Minecraft, Kerbal Space Program or Europa Universalis 3 laglessly. However, a good graphics card would also be helpful, as I've got some high-graphic games that I can't run.

But I need some help with choosing a new laptop as I'm completely clueless on the hardware side of computers. I don't want to accidently buy some crap.

Also, it doesn't matter if the price is a bit more than my budget, I can loan some more.

You probably won't be able to buy a "decent" laptop for $400

Even if you do, it'll just blow up in a couple of months.

But I don't know how the prices are in Norway.

Go check some local computer shop and narrow down what you want then post it here.

Memory and CPU would be the big ones on Minecraft, but it's not all..that intensive of a game. Could be an outdated version of Java or some sort of hardware acceleration feature that Minecraft takes advantage of that I'm not aware of.

As far as stability/crashes on Minecraft go, well, it runs on Java (which, among other things, is notorious for drive-by virus infections), so there you go.

You'll probably need to have at least 2700 NOK (£300) for an affordable everyday-use laptop. You're totally right that Minecraft is CPU-intensive as opposed to GPU-intensive (and definitely needs 64-bit not 32-bit), but its main requirement is RAM (at least 6GB should be good).

Just a quick browse (using Google Translate) gave me this: http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=766690 (For some reason the product description says 6GB but tech specs say 2GB :huh:)

It should be good enough to play Minecraft relatively lag-free, and there's plenty of graphics options to tweak and you could even get OptiFine.

If you want to use the laptop for actual gaming you'll need to fork out a lot more, or just get a desktop PC. (NOT ALIENWARE/DELL)

All the things wrong with this statement. Laptops are not optimal for gaming. And any high-powered one that would be unlikely to blow up in a matter of days, would run you over 1,000 US.

Doesn't need to be a badass gaming comp that can run anything on high graphics. Just the games I entered in the OP without lags. I don't want a desktop PC because I want to play games in any corner of my house.

You'll probably need to have at least 2700 NOK (£300) for an affordable everyday-use laptop. You're totally right that Minecraft is CPU-intensive as opposed to GPU-intensive (and definitely needs 64-bit not 32-bit), but its main requirement is RAM (at least 6GB should be good).

Just a quick browse (using Google Translate) gave me this: http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=766690 (For some reason the product description says 6GB but tech specs say 2GB :huh:)

It should be good enough to play Minecraft relatively lag-free, and there's plenty of graphics options to tweak and you could even get OptiFine.

If you want to use the laptop for actual gaming you'll need to fork out a lot more, or just get a desktop PC. (NOT ALIENWARE/DELL)

There is a red note just above the description that it will be delivered with 4 extra GB ram. Also, Like I said I don't know anything about hardware, but 1.4 GHz?... Maybe Minecraft will run fine, but EU3 and KSP Use a lot of CPU.

Also, my current specs, if they are of any help:

DirectX:      9.0c
CPU name:     Intel® Core2 Duo CPU     T7500  @ 2.20GHz
CPU speed:    2194MHz
Memory:       2047MB
Screen size:  1680x1050 (32bits)
Video card:   ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2400 XT, 256MB
In Norway; there are no gaming laptops for 2271 NOK. If you want an "average mainstream" laptop, you will probably need to pay around 3500-5000NOK.

It isn't THAT expensive. Well, maybe new ones straight from the shop are, but I got this one for 1200NOK.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yep, I've bought aspire. Actually, it's pretty damn good. All the specs seemed ok, except the graphics card. I must say that reading the posts about Geforce 710M scared me off a bit, but people are overreacting. It can run almost all games, sure, not in ultra quality, but it runs most games fine in medium quality. All the posts that say how shitty it is are quite lulzy.