SWTOR goes Free to Play today!

wow this thread sure took a hell of a fall, anyway I don't wish to get into any conflicts on JKhub i get enough on other forums,

So let's all try and keep arguing to minimum, I am also not saying expressing opinions about others is bad, just it's not always needed.

as for Ory'Hara, I am not trying to judge you but your age on forums say you're 29 which means you're amongst the most mature on this forums, so please start acting your age and stop forcing us to assume that there is something wrong with your mental health.

Play nicely guys :)

KDR_3XILE likes this

^29 really?

I would have guessed 13.

I don't play TOR btw, not because it has a subscription fee but becasue it lacks the cool saber dueling animations of KotOR and it ruined the story.

Ory'Hara, stand in a Gamestop for 1 whole day and count how many copies of TOR sells, even at it's peak do you really think that the price of a game copy is enough to pay for the servers forever? You also have to consider a LARGE amount of the games sales dollars went into making back what they put into making the game, you know paying the development team, their insurance policies for the employess, the general cost of running the studio, ect, ect.

Myabe Ory'Hara wants to play TOR but cannot afford the measly fee?

whatever, disinformation, i dont impose anything, i only open the eyes of others to the real truth. your eyes are closed, therefore you are squished. i dont provoke others, others provoke me, and i shall drop my maul, thyssel for thought ;)

more disinfo, i drop the maul of truth on this too

http://www.gamestop....Republic Online

http://www.walmart.c...he old republic

http://www.bestbuy.c...he old republic

http://www.radioshac...ue=Role playing

all you are lying and blind, and that shows where the real lack of intelligence be, flame me all you want, but if you all ignore a maul this heavy, then i have no hope for thee ;)

You shouldn't rely on the retailers pricing, it took them weeks to fix their listings when the game dropped to $15...not only that but if you got to the TOR's site you will see the download and play is free...no need to purchase it anymore, regardless of if it is still on shelves...and likely, it will stay on shelves until the copies they have printed sell, which people will no doubt still buy as the install process done entirely via download, sucks as @@Caelum can attest, also there is just no logical reason to toss them out, since the $15 give you a month sub, and the $30 is a 2 month sub card, so it will stay indefinitely.

^29 really?

I would have guessed 13.

I don't play TOR btw, not because it has a subscription fee but becasue it lacks the cool saber dueling animations of KotOR and it ruined the story.

Ory'Hara, stand in a Gamestop for 1 whole day and count how many copies of TOR sells, even at it's peak do you really think that the price of a game copy is enough to pay for the servers forever? You also have to consider a LARGE amount of the games sales dollars went into making back what they put into making the game, you know paying the development team, their insurance policies for the employess, the general cost of running the studio, ect, ect.

Myabe Ory'Hara wants to play TOR but cannot afford the measly fee?

the $29 is a 60 day time card, seeing as how one month is $15...60 days would be twice that obviously.

I meant 29 as in his age which he doesn't act.

Ory'Hara is trying to say that the sales of the CD copies alone would cover the massive costs of servers for however many years before the game goes offline.

He should go check out something like SWG-Emu and look at how they consume money for just TWO servers that have a limit of 3000 people each, it's far from cheap.

I don't think he has any general understanding of economics, he must still live at home with his mommy.

if you're willing to spend about $5 in the Cartel Store...the wait times are greatly reduced.

And just making that minimal purchase of Cartel Coins will lend you plenty more features automatically, before you've even spent them. Tis worth the one-time investment says I.
Guest Ory'Hara

I meant 29 as in his age which he doesn't act.

Ory'Hara is trying to say that the sales of the CD copies alone would cover the massive costs of servers for however many years before the game goes offline.

He should go check out something like SWG-Emu and look at how they consume money for just TWO servers that have a limit of 3000 people each, it's far from cheap.

I don't think he has any general understanding of economics, he must still live at home with his mommy.

nah, all that be disinformation, [insult once again removed]

Edited by Caelum
  • 1 month later...

Well I'm bumping this cause I downloaded it and tried it out mostly cause my old roommate who loved KotOR just as much as the next guy despite not being much of a SW fan. I find it mildly amusing for the moment but I doubt I'd pay for it just because it's not nearly as good as SWG (Pre-CU, not that start as Jedi crap) was and the emulator for that which is free to play and unrestricted is already nearly finished and playable, though not everything works.

Agent Jones likes this

The story doesn't seem to fit well with the KotOR games, huge problem is the mandalorian armor that the republic soldiers wear. It is SEVERELY lacking in classes and what goes along with that, game dynamics. You can't do nearly as much in this game as you could in SWG. Not everyone wants to have a combat profession and even on the free account that gains exp slower it's pretty easy to level up. SWG at least let you learn skills from other professions and wasn't level based.

Oh yeah, space combat is so terrible I don't even know why they added it into this game, it should be free roaming like SWG was.

I'm inclined to think that there'll be some dramatic changes made to the game at some point, as happened with Aeon, and WoW repeatedly. Maybe after that it'll appeal to a larger audience. Personally, I'm enjoying what little I'm able to play as it is. Although, I do tend to play it as if it were a single player game. I'd have been satisfied with a third installment to the Knights of the Old Republic series.

Something that I didn't mention either is that the maps don't feel like worlds, they're small in comparison to SWG planets and there is no night/day or weather.

I think the level progression speed is better for the free to play people as in for the subscribers it seems like it would be too easy to amass levels and money, it should be something that takes a LONG time to keep the game interesting. Once you're maxed out it would get boring really fast.

While you can play by yourself some missions you either need a group or need to level up a bit then come back to if you wanna finish them.