Tips on fixing models whose Sabers won't turn on

Go to solution Solved by AshuraDX,

I've been trying to edit a preexisting model so it can use sabers, but to my dismay I've been incapable of making it work. I've been messing with the *r_hand tag in Blender for ages now, and still nothing works. I've moved it all over the hand model thinking it was placed wrong, but to no avail. This is a recurring issue I've noticed in dozens of models in my time modding this game. I've managed to fix it for a few models through complex troubleshooting, but fact is, I can't consistently make it work. 

Here I have some examples. I did not port them myself and downloaded all of them from various places, including Filefront, so these have been uploaded broken for years now.

image.png.ef4959570c7d021995d19e86016e2c95.png

• Solution
On 6/7/2023 at 10:04 AM, bigphil2695 said:

This model, and likely the others too, are missing surfaces named r_hand and l_hand.

For some reason this prevents sabers from spawning their blades in Singleplayer.

To work correctly a player model should always have the following surfaces in this hierarchy:

hips
	torso
		head
		l_arm
			l_hand
		r_arm
			r_leg
	l_leg
	r_leg

This vegeta model is a complete mess - it has none of those

jkD2C8x.png

This model is completely messed up and needs rebuilding.

So open it in blender, split it into the appropiate parts with the exact names, fix the hierarchy and reexport to .glm

any surfaces besides the listed ones should be named with suffixes to the parent surface.

So if you have a belt that wraps around the characters hips as an additional surface, that should be named "hips_belt"

bigphil2695 likes this
35 minutes ago, AshuraDX said:

This model, and likely the others too, are missing surfaces named r_hand and l_hand.

For some reason this prevents sabers from spawning their blades in Singleplayer.

To work correctly a player model should always have the following surfaces in this hierarchy:

hips
	torso
		head
		l_arm
			l_hand
		r_arm
			r_leg
	l_leg
	r_leg

This vegeta model is a complete mess - it has none of those

jkD2C8x.png

This model is completely messed up and needs rebuilding.

So open it in blender, split it into the appropiate parts with the exact names, fix the hierarchy and reexport to .glm

any surfaces besides the listed ones should be named with suffixes to the parent surface.

So if you have a belt that wraps around the characters hips as an additional surface, that should be named "hips_belt"

Really helpful thank you! I did notice this model was put together strangely. Had no idea that was the issue. Will go through all the other models and apply this technique

So I got the sabers working fine enough, could possibly fix the clipping, but I don't care that much. But now there's a weird hole in this Vegeta model. The unarmored one is fine, but this one has some weird shit going on

image.png.612fd6787305c7864f9aebd1013e1cee.png

What's odd is that I didn't really even alter the torso model. Only the arms and legs. Very strange.

Nevermind, it's just the normals were out of wack for a bit. Nothing too hard